Blueberry Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just running a recipe by you all. I recently (with some of your help) made a Cherry Wheat Ale recipe, and I'm almost certain that if I just change the cherry ingredients to blueberry that would work fine...but I'm just making sure.

4 oz Malto Dextrin
4.5 lbs. Wheat LME
3.3 lbs. Light LME
1 oz. Hallertau (Bittering)
0.5 oz. Hallertau (Aroma)
Safale US-05 Yeast
1 can Oregon Blueberry Fruit Puree (added into secondary)
1 packet pectic enzyme (eliminate cloudyness from puree)
Priming sugar for bottling
2 oz Blueberry Extract (Added in bottling bucket)

P.S., I really like the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and the Blueberry Wit beer that they have, so I know that there's a lot of extract in the recipe, but I'm told that if I like the Sam Adams, I'd like that much extract.

Just curious, With your cherry wheat did using a full can turn the beer into a wine cooler? or just give it a hint. The beer is fermenting and will be ready to be moved to a secondary in a couple days.

I'm not sure I would use extract. I would up the amount you're using in the secondary and skip the extract at bottling. Real fruit is always better and the only two extracts I've found that have any remote similarities to the real fruit are raspberry and peach. The rest taste too fake.

Looks good. I'll ditto skipping the blueberry extract. Get a bottle of quality blueberry syrup and drizzle a little around the rim of each pint.

If a guy wanted to do this with blackberry and all he had was previously frozen juice, how much might he use and when would he be inclined to add it?

If a guy wanted to do this with blackberry and all he had was previously frozen juice, how much might he use and when would he be inclined to add it?

You would definitely want to add it into the secondary, meaning your primary would be a simple wheat ale. As far as how much blackberry juice to use, do you mean fresh squeezed frozen blackberry juice? Concentrate? Puree?

Juice from blackberries that I picked then boiled and removed the seeds then froze. Very slightly diluted.

Latest posts

Back