4% or 7.2% for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
I have two packages of Cascade pellet hops, one is 4% and the other is 7.2%. Which would be better to dry hop my SNPA clone with? Or does the AA % even have an effect when dry hopping? I know dry hopping is for aroma but surely some bittering occurs right?

Whichever one I don't use will go into my Rye Ale as the bittering hops so maybe that will have an impact on which one to use for dry hopping.

Neomich said:
I have two packages of Cascade pellet hops, one is 4% and the other is 7.2%. Which would be better to dry hop my SNPA clone with? Or does the AA % even have an effect when dry hopping? I know dry hopping is for aroma but surely some bittering occurs right?

Whichever one I don't use will go into my Rye Ale as the bittering hops so maybe that will have an impact on which one to use for dry hopping.
I'd say save your more bitter batch for your bittering.

Neomich said:

No, bittering does not occur when dry-hopping. Just aroma and a tad bit more flavor (since some flavor does actually come from aroma)...
So all else being equal... save the higher %AA hops for bittering if you want the most bang for your buck...

Bittering can only occur near boiling temperatures, the resins will not dissolve at room temperature, so use the lower AA for dry hopping.

Back