Critters and Hop Plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieofthenorth

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had any problems with animals eating/destroying your hop plants? I'll probably build a small garden fence just in case given that I live on the edge of a large section of woods, but was curious if anyone has had any problems. If so, ever catch the culprits? Skunks? Rabbits? Sasquatch?

I don't think a small garden fence is going to deter your average Sasquatch...

jamieofthenorth said:
Has anyone ever had any problems with animals eating/destroying your hop plants? I'll probably build a small garden fence just in case given that I live on the edge of a large section of woods, but was curious if anyone has had any problems. If so, ever catch the culprits? Skunks? Rabbits? Sasquatch?

No problems with furry creatures, they don't like hops, they can make your canine very ill.

I live way out in the sticks, where the cows, horses and deer outnumber human residents. We have a friggin' menagerie of animals living on the property, with deer roaming through every few days on their circuit, and rabbits and woodchucks living under our deck within feet of my hops, yet I've never had even a nibble on my hops plants from them.

Bugs, otoh, are another story. "Hop worms" and the &^%$@#! two spotted mites have become the bane of my hops existence, and I've already stocked up with plant soaps for when the war resumes this Spring...

Cheers!

Deer don't like them, rabbits detest them, even sheep don't care for them.

Goats will eat anything...

The worst we had was a turkey that took a disliking to 1 particular rhizome. He would come dig it up every day. He didn't eat it, he didn't damage it, he would just dig it up and leave it sit.

I have heard of some people having problems with moles and the like but that was just burrowing creatures digging through something in their way instead of actually intending harm.

I think your biggest danger is the family dog digging up the stick you just buried.

Ah, thanks for all of the responses. Good to know. Maybe I'll save the money and trouble and forgo the fence.

Back