Draft Beer Tower at the Kitchen Sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pump on the glycol chiller is a rather stout one, not sure of its specs but it looks like one that is used in some of the electric brewing set ups. It is a 1/4 horsepower pump. Whatever pond pump you are considering, multiply the current draw by the voltage (120) to obtain the power in watts, then convert to horsepower. I am using 3/8 inner diameter lines for the glycol.

As for the cost, yes it was expensive but I dreamed this up while I was in Afghanistan where we were not allowed any alcohol. Meaning, I wanted to do this regardless of cost. The glycol unit was the most expensive item at around $1200. The two faucet tower was $400 and the CO2 pumps were $400 for the entire panel. I can't remember how much I got the freezer for from Sears scratch and dent but it was under $300 if my memory is correct.

I am very happy with this set up. I have put at least a dozen kegs through it and I clean the lines after each keg. I guess I should write up my unique cleaning method where I send the cleaning agent down one line and up the other.

Hope this helps you guys!

Thanks for the reply.

Would the system work without the CO2 pumps ?

Depends on length, vertical and resistance. 1/4 barrier tubing at 25 ft with a 12 ft vertical is about 10-12 psi. Same thing with 3/16 would require 18ish. Use something not as smooth as barrier tubing and you will need pumps.

As for doing it without CO2 pumps, you could. Just make sure to use beer gas, whatever your supplier has. I want to say the standard is 20% Nitrogen and 80% CO2. I considered that option but I did not want to play around with the pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back