white skin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goblinbrewer

Reaction score
I have just finished my first load of mead. When it was in secondary I noticed a sort of white skin form on the surface. I removed it but it came back in a few days. It didn't taste off so I bottled it and so far there is no skin. Any idea what that could have been?

It was tesco value honey. I know that may be a bit of a no no on here but it was cheap n I managed to get a load for not much. Could it have just been yeast sediment floating? I know with beer sometimes if the temperature changes a lot you get bits of dead yeast on the surface

My guess your 'load' wasn't done fermenting and racking it has renewed fermentation.
What was the OG? What was the FG when you racked to secondary and called it done?

I didn't take any gravity readings but I left it in its final fermentation vessel until it stopped bubbling and left it for a while longer actually as I became busy with uni work. Id let it age a few months in bottle and it seemes to taste fine

Back