Live bitter has yeasty smell -- any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttmooney

Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to post this in fermentation or kegging, since it's a mix of both.

I have a bitter that I put into a 5 gal plastic barrel (5 Gallon Plastic Barrel - Bulb Co2 PIN VALVE) with a bit of o2 and priming sugar. I've been letting it naturally carb for a few weeks at room temp, and once tasting began, I have to say it's pretty good.

I went for a long primary, and then into the barrel without any secondary. I've been doing 1-stage fermentation for all ales, using a highly flocculant yeasts.

First, the beer is lovely. Nice, a bit bitter, not an alcohol bomb, with a good level of natural co2. I would love to have it on a hand pump, but that is a bit further down the road.

The only problem is that the nose is quite yeasty. I am guessing there is still some yeast in suspension, or that the tap is pulling a little sediment. I don't really see a solution, other than re-racking, which I'm not excited about.

I follow a similar fermentation method when kegging, and although I haven't kegged this recipe, I have yet to get a yeast aroma on any of the kegged beer, and this is a yeast that I have used before.

Anyone else have any ideas? The beer is drinking fine, BTW.

Kind regards,

travis

My experience - I find when bottling or naturally carbonating that some yeasts can take a long time to flocculate. 1272 is a good example of this - it's a high flocculating yeast but even 4-5 weeks after packaging it can still taste and smell very yeastie. Give it a couple more weeks and report back on how you got on.

Your tap is probably pulling sediment: I get that some yeast strains stay in stay suspension longer than others, but if you went for a long primary and let the beer carb for a few weeks, the beer should have dropped bright and clear by now.

Next time, maybe try to fine at racking time and crash cool after carb level has been achieved, to insure you have as tight a cake as possible. You could always keg and carb naturally.

I keg, and the first few pints are always a bit yeasty. Cool aging helps to settle any suspended yeast. Slow pours also minimize disturbing the yeast. If the beer is pouring clear, then I suspect the aroma is from sitting longer on the yeast, particularly if it was a bit warm.

Back