Headed to Colorado/Wyoming and looking for breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to recap my trip when I can get to a keyboard but I just finished off with the mojo risin iipa seasonal by boulder at the airport

ForumRunner_20110425_181435.jpg

Just north of Colorado springs and literally right off of I-25 is Colorado mountain brewery. Food is great and beer is awesome. Personally I like it more than phantom canyon.

Just north of Colorado springs and literally right off of I-25 is Colorado mountain brewery. Food is great and beer is awesome. Personally I like it more than phantom canyon.

Very nice, might be a lunch stop on the way down to visit some family in the springs. Also visiting trinity

If it's this weekend, Bierwerks is having their WinterBier festival on Saturday in Woodland Park. Several CO breweries will have beers there. You just missed the Firkin Rendezvous at Bristol. Also check out Pikes Peak brewery in Monument if you didn't last time.

If it's this weekend, Bierwerks is having their WinterBier festival on Saturday in Woodland Park. Several CO breweries will have beers there. You just missed the Firkin Rendezvous at Bristol. Also check out Pikes Peak brewery in Monument if you didn't last time.

Firkin Rendezvous was awesome:mug:

If your going to be in Ft Collins, be sure to hit up Funkwerks. It's on the same row as O'dells and Ft Collins Brewery. Three of my favorites. Wish I lived closer, but I'm not complaining about my selection in Colorado Springs. If you make it down here, be sure to hit up Trinity and Bristols.

I wish, I need to incorporate these trips into meals or the occasional brewery visit since I have a wife and 2 young ones. She has some patience but I only have so much room.

I want to go back to the pickle barrel in ft collins, I know they have good food and a nice beer selection. Then how is the 1020 restaurant? I know it is connected to ft collins brewery and would be a good way to get the fam a nice place to eat that has good beer :mug:

Oskar blues, in up north in longmont and lyons. Amazing beer and food. Did I mention their beer is amazing? Not far out of the way, on the drive to wy.

Avery is another good choice.

While not a brewery, I highly recommend Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver. They have a ton of great beers on tap and their chicken wings are some of the best I've ever had anywhere. We always stop in there whenever we're in town for the GABF

If you are in Denver this weekend, Hops and Pie are tapping their keg of Pliny the Younger at 3:30 pm on Sunday the 26th. Tickets will be handed out to the 1st 50 people who enter the building when they open at 2:00 sharp.

The first in a line of Left Hand Brewing special beers called Ambidextrous will be tapped at Freshcraft this Saturday. This one will be an imperial milk stout. It's a blend of Left Hand's Milk Stout, their Wake Up Dead imperial stout, and a Widdershins barleywine aged in whiskey barrels.

Upslope Brewing (Boulder) is proud to announce their first beer collaboration with Denver Beer Company. Join Upslope this Saturday at 2pm as they tap their newest limited tap room release; a Belgian-Style Chocolate Cherry Stout! Earlier this year, Upslope's brewers went down to Denver to brew at Denver Beer Co. and their brewers traveled north to brew a batch on our system. The result is a Belgian-style ale boasting bold cherry and chocolate aroma. At 10% a.b.v. this is a deceptively smooth, well rounded beer that has cheery and chocolate flavors lingering on the finish. Both breweries will be tapping this beer this Saturday. Tickets will be given out good for a glass of their effort at the other brewery's tap room.

While not a brewery, I highly recommend Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver. They have a ton of great beers on tap and their chicken wings are some of the best I've ever had anywhere. We always stop in there whenever we're in town for the GABF

Yeah that place is nice, I went there last year for a lunch, the only days we'll be in denver is Saturday, Sunday and then back on a wednsday and maybe thursday. Since I have kids I will have to try to go to places like that for lunch on a weekday preferrably to keep the crowds down.

Here are our potential dinner or eating spots

Highland Tap and Burger - 2219 W 32nd Ave

Breckenridge BBQ and Brew Pub - 471 Kalamath St

Breckenridge Ball Park Brew Pub - 2220 Blake St

Paramount Cafe - 519 16th St

Uptown Brothers - 320 E Colfax Ave

Amato's Ale House -2501 16th St

If you are in Denver this weekend, Hops and Pie are tapping their keg of Pliny the Younger at 3:30 pm on Sunday the 26th. Tickets will be handed out to the 1st 50 people who enter the building when they open at 2:00 sharp.

The first in a line of Left Hand Brewing special beers called Ambidextrous will be tapped at Freshcraft this Saturday. This one will be an imperial milk stout. It's a blend of Left Hand's Milk Stout, their Wake Up Dead imperial stout, and a Widdershins barleywine aged in whiskey barrels.

Upslope Brewing (Boulder) is proud to announce their first beer collaboration with Denver Beer Company. Join Upslope this Saturday at 2pm as they tap their newest limited tap room release; a Belgian-Style Chocolate Cherry Stout! Earlier this year, Upslope's brewers went down to Denver to brew at Denver Beer Co. and their brewers traveled north to brew a batch on our system. The result is a Belgian-style ale boasting bold cherry and chocolate aroma. At 10% a.b.v. this is a deceptively smooth, well rounded beer that has cheery and chocolate flavors lingering on the finish. Both breweries will be tapping this beer this Saturday. Tickets will be given out good for a glass of their effort at the other brewery's tap room.

I won't be up there this weekend but I have been eyeing upslope

I always thought the Bristol Brewing was one of the best you could find In CO. It is just off the freeway in southern Colorado Springs. If you cannot make it to the brewery a lot of restaurants and bars have them on tap and if that does not work get a 6er of Laughing Lab. It is one of the best beers I have had. http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp

I always thought the Bristol Brewing was one of the best you could find In CO. It is just off the freeway in southern Colorado Springs. If you cannot make it to the brewery a lot of restaurants and bars have them on tap and if that does not work get a 6er of Laughing Lab. It is one of the best beers I have had. http://www.bristolbrewing.com/our_beers.asp

I agree a great brewery, I went there last year too and had their sampler and loved Laughing lab and so do a lot of others which is evident by all the GABF medals it has won. I even bought the shirt :)

I will be going back to Trinity for sure while in Colorado Springs

I have their floppy hat and a Bristol pint glass. I have had them for at least 10 years now. I really miss Laughing Lab, and Winter Warlock, and wish they sold outside CO..

I'm pretty sure Bristol changed their hops in their Compass IPA. :(

when was the last time you had it? Honestly it was too balanced for me, I know I am being a hypocritical IPA drinker but c'mon I'm from the west coast. I mean there is a rare occasion where I want a balance IPA but it is not that often.

when was the last time you had it? Honestly it was too balanced for me, I know I am being a hypocritical IPA drinker but c'mon I'm from the west coast. I mean there is a rare occasion where I want a balance IPA but it is not that often.

I had a bunch of it around Christmas. Didn't taste nearly how I remembered it, and I saw someone post a shot from the brewery around that time of the chalkboard and the hops were totally different from what's on the website.

If you ever get the chance to get south to Durango Ska brewing and Steamworks are awesome breweries.

I might be a little late here, but go to Renegade. They make great beer. Almost everything is high gravity. They are my favorite right now. They are on 9th and Sante Fe. Just get off at 8th Ave from I-25.

Also in Aurora, Dry Dock really can't be beat. GABF small brewery of the year 2009.

Neither one has a tour that I know of, but outside of New Belgium, I find tours to be the same-old, same-old.

I might be a little late here, but go to Renegade. They make great beer. Almost everything is high gravity. They are my favorite right now. They are on 9th and Sante Fe. Just get off at 8th Ave from I-25.

Also in Aurora, Dry Dock really can't be beat. GABF small brewery of the year 2009.

Neither one has a tour that I know of, but outside of New Belgium, I find tours to be the same-old, same-old.

Good to know, I am looking for options in Denver, I went to Great Divide last year, nice beer but I've already been there so I want to try something new. Thanks for the suggestions

Renegade is solid, while you're there don't miss the Breckenridge brewery and strange brewing, both are only a few blocks apart. Copper kettle is also great ..

so this is it, anyone have suggestions for good beer shops (places to get a good selection of beer in bottles). I don't like that you can't get anything over 4% or whatever in a grocery store. Say within a 5 mile radius of the zoo or so.

so this is it, anyone have suggestions for good beer shops (places to get a good selection of beer in bottles). I don't like that you can't get anything over 4% or whatever in a grocery store. Say within a 5 mile radius of the zoo or so.

Hmm. Argonaut Wine & Liquor is probably the best by the zoo. The liquor store thing is what makes Colorado a great beer place. If you could sell good beer in grocery stores, you would get maybe a couple selections. The smaller guys wouldn't have a chance because the store has limited space. In a liquor store, there is more space devoted to beer, therefore more space to add more beer brands. Our governor turned down a bill last year that would allow grocery stores to carry higher alcohol beer for that reason. Hickenlooper started Wynkoop in downtown. If having beer in a grocery store would be good for the industry he would have allowed it.

On a side note: I went on a little brewery tour of Boulder, Longmont yesterday. We went to Avery, Oskar Blues and Left Hand. On our way home we stopped by Renegade. Renegade was solid, but I would detour and head to Dry Dock. If I had to pick from the selections that both breweries have on hand right now, I would pick Dry Dock.

Hmm. Argonaut Wine & Liquor is probably the best by the zoo. The liquor store thing is what makes Colorado a great beer place. If you could sell good beer in grocery stores, you would get maybe a couple selections. The smaller guys wouldn't have a chance because the store has limited space. In a liquor store, there is more space devoted to beer, therefore more space to add more beer brands. Our governor turned down a bill last year that would allow grocery stores to carry higher alcohol beer for that reason. Hickenlooper started Wynkoop in downtown. If having beer in a grocery store would be good for the industry he would have allowed it.

On a side note: I went on a little brewery tour of Boulder, Longmont yesterday. We went to Avery, Oskar Blues and Left Hand. On our way home we stopped by Renegade. Renegade was solid, but I would detour and head to Dry Dock. If I had to pick from the selections that both breweries have on hand right now, I would pick Dry Dock.

Thanks, I had Colorado Liquor mart and Argonaut were the ones I mapped out. Colorado LM was closer so I went there, picked up SKA IPA, Avery NW porter and boulder BC IBA which I have had many times but it's good. My BIL got a mix pack from left hand, haven't tried anything but the ginger one so far from that. The SKA IPA was very nice though.

There are so many breweries in CO it's crazy. Even the tiny towns seem to have a brewery or there's one within a few minutes drive.

In Fort Collins, Odells and NB are great but FCB has some really good beers. Funkwerks is excellent. You can sample both their beers and Crooked Stave, which operates out of Funkwerks. Excellent saisons going on but I've seen that they are expanding their line up. So is Crooked Stave.

Denver has a ton of good stuff, too. Even the airport has a Boulder Beer outpost. Several big breweries in Denver but also excellent smaller breweries. Just outside you have solid breweries in Longmont (Left Hand, Oskar Blues), Boulder (Avery), etc.

Denver has a ton of good stuff, too. Even the airport has a Boulder Beer outpost. Several big breweries in Denver but also excellent smaller breweries. Just outside you have solid breweries in Longmont (Left Hand, Oskar Blues), Boulder (Avery), etc.

We are pretty lucky with beer in Denver and it's getting better every month. As far as Avery goes: I don't think solid describes them well enough. I would put them, along with Odells as the class of Colorado breweries. It's to the point that I have a hard time going to Twisted Pine or even Left Hand afterwards because their beer is just not as good. It's a let down.

Well I didn't make it to renege :(, we were at GD at like 1:55 and they opened at 2:00, had a few samplers and they gave a tour at 3:00 so it was good and my BIL it a closet malty beer fan so it was a good stop, basically he loves the malty stuff and I convinced him he loves RIS, and he agreed.

They have come a long way since Fly Dog left Denver. They do malty well but their Titan IPA rocks. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Back