My water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
Finally got a report from my water company and trying to get everything inline for my first AG.

Calcium 92 mg/l
Magnesium 25 mg/l
Sulfate 104.3
Sodium 18 mg/l
Chloride 22.3 mg/l
Barcarbonate "usually runs around 400 to 450 mg/l or ppm it's actually not monitored often", so says my water company.

How do these numbers look?

I plan to do a red or brown ale for my first AG.

Thanks
Don

Don said:
Finally got a report from my water company and trying to get everything inline for my first AG.

Calcium 92 mg/l
Magnesium 25 mg/l
Sulfate 104.3
Sodium 18 mg/l
Chloride 22.3 mg/l
Barcarbonate "usually runs around 400 to 450 mg/l or ppm it's actually not monitored often", so says my water company.

How do these numbers look?

I plan to do a red or brown ale for my first AG.

Thanks
Don

Pretty bland looking water:tank:but you are missing the one you really need... PH (it may be listed as hardness).

That's what I thought. Local water co. get our water from wells.

I am making an AG Brown Ale and plan on buying some spring water to add.

you have all the numbers you need. Original pH is not nearly as important as mash pH which relates to residual alkalinity. From this you can estimate mash pH/mineral/acid additions to get you where you need to be. Read chapter 15 in Palmer (linked above) and play with his spreadsheet (linked above) and you will eventually be a water chem. buff. To me it looks like you have very carbonate water, which means I see stouts in your future (unless you want to play with your water profile...i.e. acid or minerals).

clayof2day said:
To me it looks like you have very carbonate water, which means I see stouts in your future (unless you want to play with your water profile...i.e. acid or minerals).
Stouts you say..
Well I could learn to to live on stouts.

Thanks

Don said:
That's what I thought. Local water co. get our water from wells.

I am making an AG Brown Ale and plan on buying some spring water to add.

Your water will change depending on which well they are pulling from. Those numbers are probably from the well they just happen to currently be pulling from... or it's an average.

Chances are all the other wells are close to those numbers because the water is comoing from the same area.

Back