If you could have any object turned into a tap handle, what would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Civil War Era triangular bayonet (socket style, so technically removable)

I'm working on a mount for both SKS and Mosin spike bayonets to use as handles...

Almost finished is the pump action off a Stevens Model 67 Series E shotgun that was damaged beyond repair (stock and trigger group smashed, barrel bent). Trying to decide if I should leave the brass like it is, or color it black (along with the rest of the metal) with Cerakote.
Shotgun_Beer_Tap_handle1.jpg

Leave it the way it is. That's gonna end up being a bad ass looking tap handle.

I'll have to see how good a solder/silver brazing job I can do on it. If it looks good, I'll probably just let it go. At least for now. I'd like to figure out a way to get it to move up and down and maintain it's orientation.

If I'm going to leave the brass as is, I need to decide if I media blast it, or just put it back in the lathe and run some high grit sandpaper over it, or maybe a Scotch-Brite pad...

I might be getting a Mossberg 500 barrel in the next week, or two. That's also destined for becoming a tap handle. I'm probably going to use part of the barrel from the shotgun the pump action came off of for another tap handle. Just a matter of cutting it and making another base fitting for it. That one I might just pin.

A couple of my ex-wives would be fine and continue to provide motivation to drink.:)

I don't know if anyone has come up with this idea yet...

Medea Vodka sells bottle with programmable LED displays for gifts. You can put any message you'd like on them.

I'd love to have a tap handle version of that. Anyone make it? If not, I might have to do it. I'm an electrical engineer, after all!

With the gun parts as handles, do be wary that they are not too heavy. I have found that heavy handles tend to cause my taps to leak.

With the gun parts as handles, do be wary that they are not too heavy. I have found that heavy handles tend to cause my taps to leak.

I've used a 20mm inert round that probably weighs more than the pump handle, without issue. Plus the wood part (the thing that goes up :D) will rest at the bottom, closest to the faucet.

BTW, if you have good faucets, this won't be an issue.

I've used a 20mm inert round that probably weighs more than the pump handle, without issue. Plus the wood part (the thing that goes up :D) will rest at the bottom, closest to the faucet.

BTW, if you have good faucets, this won't be an issue.

Good answer. I have Perlik 525s the one I used just seemed to make mine leak. Glad yours are holding together better than mine did.

My latest round of 2A theme tap handles...

2A_tap_handles_4_web2.jpg

Used brass for the adapters to mount to the faucets. Also went with the pieces that allow you to have the handles straight up. With my fridge, I needed that for all three handles. Otherwise, they'd be kicked open all the time.

Back