soda not carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
Something is just not working for me.

I have tried to make soda in some 2L bottles twice now, and no carbonation. I tried to go simple to start, just wanted to show the kids how it worked.

Ginger ale was made with sugar, lemon juice, ginger and some fleishman's yeast. When that didn't take off, I figured maybe it was something to do with the yeast (though I doubt it, it's working fine in the breadmaker) so with the rootbeer I used some extract and a half packet of Nottingham. 30h later, nothing.

I'm just putting the ingredients in the bottle, capping and leaving. Am I missing something???

:rockin::ban::off::mug::fro:

When I've made rootbeer using 2L bottles, it's always taken them about a week to become firm. That's when you know they're ready and you stick it in the fridge at that point.

From what I have read, you need to use a wine yeast such as Pasteur Champagne from Red Star or Lalvin EC-1118. Ale yeast is often used in homemade soda and this might improve your results.

Allow the mixture of your water, sugar and flavorings to sit at room temperature for a day or two to get the yeast going, then bottle. This is when the carbonation begins. Allow several days to cabonate. Squeeze the bottles to confirm it is working and if it gets to hard, release some of the pressure and then tighten the cap back up. Loads of information available if you google "Homemade Soda"

Good luck.

Salute! :mug:

ok, thanks all.

Everything I read said it would be done in 24-48h.

Looking at it now, I can see a few small bubbles starting. I guess it just took a while to get rolling.

The warmer the temperature, the faster it'll carb up. so, if it's cool in your house it'll take longer. Place them in a warm place and check them every 12-24 hours (so they don't get too hard too quickly and explode!).

While my mead and barely secondary away. I decided to try to make some soda, i figured I'd start off easy and use an extract for birch beer since I am a fan. All went well and I bottled most of it in glass except for one plastic coke bottle to gauge when carbonation was complete. After 3 days no firmness to the bottle so I took one of the glass bottles in fridge chilled, carefully opened listening for the reassuring pfsst. Nothing...:confused: 2 more days... same thing with another bottle. Brew closet is at about 75 degrees, I have been shaking the bottles to get the (redstar champagne)yeast deposits back in solution, it looks like there is a healthy amount settling out but no carbonation. I thought only waiting for beer to carbonate took patience, the instructions (which I followed to the T) that came with the kit indicated that it would take a day or two. Now its going on a week and I want to drink some carbonated birch beer:mad:

While my mead and barely secondary away. I decided to try to make some soda, i figured I'd start off easy and use an extract for birch beer since I am a fan. All went well and I bottled most of it in glass except for one plastic coke bottle to gauge when carbonation was complete. After 3 days no firmness to the bottle so I took one of the glass bottles in fridge chilled, carefully opened listening for the reassuring pfsst. Nothing...:confused: 2 more days... same thing with another bottle. Brew closet is at about 75 degrees, I have been shaking the bottles to get the (redstar champagne)yeast deposits back in solution, it looks like there is a healthy amount settling out but no carbonation. I thought only waiting for beer to carbonate took patience, the instructions (which I followed to the T) that came with the kit indicated that it would take a day or two. Now its going on a week and I want to drink some carbonated birch beer:mad:

ok, stupid question on my part..... but I gotta ask, did you remember to add the sugar?

yep, 8 cups for 4 gallons...I followed the instructions very closely. Week one, no carbonation...I am still remaining hopeful.

It may be the yeast but i've used redstar champagne yeast a few times (to make apfelwien) no problems, this packet had an expiration date of 3/2011. it looks like it is slowly making little bubbles. Maybe next time I'll proof it before I pitch it. This time I just hydrated it...

Concerned that the yeast may be dead. I tested a sample of my rootbeer. Huston we have growth!!!
closeup.jpg

Pelleted the cells in about 10 mL of the root beer. Resuspended the cells in YEPD and steaked on YEPD agar plates.

So... sugar - check, Yeast - check. Only thing I can think of is the temperature is not up to par for the yeast. My digital thermostat says the brew closet is at 70 F but perhaps it is just not cutting it...I put a bigger heater heater in the closet and cranked the temperature up to 80 F.

It is warm in the closet and I think I am seeing small bubbles rising.

Something is just not working for me.

I have tried to make soda in some 2L bottles twice now, and no carbonation. I tried to go simple to start, just wanted to show the kids how it worked.

Ginger ale was made with sugar, lemon juice, ginger and some fleishman's yeast. When that didn't take off, I figured maybe it was something to do with the yeast (though I doubt it, it's working fine in the breadmaker) so with the rootbeer I used some extract and a half packet of Nottingham. 30h later, nothing.

I'm just putting the ingredients in the bottle, capping and leaving. Am I missing something???

:rockin::ban::off::mug::fro:

I grew up making Ginger Beer this way.

We used an old recipe my grandmother used.

5 Liters warm water, 2KG Sugar, 3 teaspoons Ginger Powder and some grated real ginger. We use about 1/2 teaspoon bread Yeast, and added two handfuls of raisins

Mixed all together in a bowl and let stand overnight covered... then bottled next day and you can see that yeast is woking as Raisins swell up, let stand for 24 -48 hours on kitchen counter and then refrigerate. Drink as wanted.

Back