What do I need to go 10 gallon All Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlnash16

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have found some great info on this site. Thanks. I have done 4 extract batches and have another 2 or 3 lined up but after that I would like to go all grain. I currently have the following:

-20 quart SS pot
-2 6.5 gallon fermentation buckets
-1 5 gallon better bottle
-1 Bottling Bucket
-1 Bayou Classic SP10 High Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker

I realize I am going to need a bigger pot and other equipment to get started. I figure I should buy everything to do 10 gallon batches because I will probably get there at some point. Could you guys let me know what I am going to need. I am thinking of 3 tier system considering I have no skills with putting together something electric or even with pumps.

I think I need:

-15 Gallon HLT
-15 Gallon MLT (Cooler and will find directions on the this site on how to build)
-15 Gallon Brewing Kettle
-2 Burners (I think the one I have will work 185,000 BTUs 14 inch diameter)
-Wort Chiller (What size?)

Possibly a grain mill.

Am I missing anything? Do I have the right sizes? Also I am not good with welding, I should say I have never done it, so what would you recommend for the HLT and BK? I see these Keggles but I just don't think I could make one if I find a few kegs. Thanks for your help

If it's within your budget, you can't go wrong with Sabco. They do the work for you. Some brewers use the false bottom, but it's rather expensive, plus didn't work well for me. I just use a bazooka tee in mine. It works well with whole hops but can get stubborn with pellet hops (I use a hop bag for those).

My Dad always told me: "It doesn't cost much more to go first class"...I know this, you wouldn't regret buying from Sabco.

As for a grain mill, I've used a Barley Crusher for years and have no plans to change.

Back