kriek?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pimp Juice

Reaction score
Trying to put together a partial mash for a kriek. I can handle 5lbs of grain. I've dug into the history and traditon. From what I've gathered the hops are "aged", aka stale. The mash is 30% wheat and 70% barley. My questions are what kind of Barley and what kind of hops? Also the cherries, amount and what kind? Do I toss the cherries in whole, and how late into the fermentation? Can I do this partial mash?

You can buy aged hops. Use half wheat DME and half extra light DME. Then do a partial mash with 6-row and unmalted white wheat. Ferment it with a lambic blend and add whole crushed sour cherries after the first month. After a couple months rack this and plan on letting it age at least one year.

http://morebeer.com sells aged hops.
You might want to look up turbid mash for details.
Hope this helps.
:mug:

One question I had for you, how did you bottle a beer in 12/06 when it has not happened yet? :tank:

how much hops? I've seen 4 oz for the 5 gallon batch. Does it matter what time I throw them in the boil?

As far as cherries go you can used Oregon Cherry Puree. Makes your life very easy. I just dumped the whole can in the secondary. Just make sure that your secondary IS NOT a 5 gal carboy. If it is be sure to put a blow off tube on it. You will have a secondary fermentation and it will ferment out pretty well.

This is great. I'm brewing my first batch of kriek today and the advice here is most welcome. I can post the results of my efforts here if anyone is interested.

This is great. I'm brewing my first batch of kriek today and the advice here is most welcome. I can post the results of my efforts here if anyone is interested.

Input, results, and lessons learned: always welcomed.

There's also a "Sour" section that may be of interest.

Merci!

:mug:

Another option is to use a Flander Brown as the base for a Kriek. It's not as common as a Lambic base but can make and excellent Kriek. You can sour mash if you don't want to wait month/years for the bugs finish the job.

I took no notes, but the beer came out excellent. Have one left. At about 6 months they tasted ok but had a funny twang. About 1 year they were right. My only regret was tasting them too early. If your going to go for it, wait a year to try the first.

Edit; The best I can remember, Did 5 lbs grain, and I think 8 lbs cherries. The cherries I de-stemmed and de-seeded, threw in a pot with a little water, some brown sugar, and cooked down for about 30mins. Threw the cherry mix at the end of the boil. The lambic yeast is kind of neat how it kicks into a secondary fermentation, weeks after the first has finished.

I am glad to hear that you brew turned out well but I am not sure that you followed the traditional method for brewing kriek. I am pretty sure that you are supposed to brew the lambic and after primary fermentation you then add the cherries to create a secondary fermentation. If I read correctly you added them all at once, to each his own though lol.
'
Good to know it turned out well.

I have since learned when fermenting with fruit, the later the better. Aggressive primary fermentation usually destroys the delicate fruit aroma/flavor. The beverage definitely lacked fruit profile.
cork.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

Yeah thanks for posting this, I am planning on brewing myself a kriek as soon as my cherries are harvested so this is great.

Back