Pumpkin Ale recipe ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KENfromMI

Reaction score
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, I'm new to this site. After two days on the net and reading numerous arguments over brewing this type of ale with many people not even using pumpkin I feel like giving up on the idea of brewing one for this upcoming Halloween. So please help me with a decent beginer recipe, Extract or partial mash that actually uses pumpkin. I have currently only brewed three batches since about a ten year layoff from brewing so a fairly easy one would be appreciated, Ken

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, I'm new to this site. After two days on the net and reading numerous arguments over brewing this type of ale with many people not even using pumpkin I feel like giving up on the idea of brewing one for this upcoming Halloween. So please help me with a decent beginer recipe, Extract or partial mash that actually uses pumpkin. I have currently only brewed three batches since about a ten year layoff from brewing so a fairly easy one would be appreciated, Ken

I know how you feel, that is an ongoing "debate" I am on the side of using pumpkin.

Here's one from Yuri Rage...I trust his recipes. He give both all grain and extract.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=380186

Here's another one; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=236883

Whatever you use, do like it says in the second one and "roast" the pumpkin mush in the oven for awhile to carmelize. It will improve the flavor.

As an aside...I'm doing both a Pumpkin Porter and a Pumpkin Ale from the same grain...it's an old style of brewing known as partigyle....but if you look to the end of the thread you'll see what the final recipes are going to be like...THey are allgrain, but you can change the base malt to extract and make a partial mash..if you wanted I'd help you figure out the recipe...My thread is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=74927

:mug:

in for later... my girl wants me to make a pumpkin ale for Halloween.

Not later, this isn't something you expect to turnover and be ready in a few days, this is something you want AT LEAST a month in the bottle, and will need to probably 2 weeks each in primary and secondary...with all the added fermentables, not even taking into account the spices, which if you miss and over do it, may need even more time to mellow.

I'm brewing my next week and wondering if I'm going to be too late...my brew buddy brewed his 6 weeks ago, he does a primary, secondary, and a tertiary and long bottle conditioning...

SO you might want to revise your brew calendar.

Not later, this isn't something you expect to turnover and be ready in a few days, this is something you want AT LEAST a month in the bottle, and will need to probably 2 weeks each in primary and secondary...with all the added fermentables, not even taking into account the spices, which if you miss and over do it, may need even more time to mellow.

I'm brewing my next week and wondering if I'm going to be too late...my brew buddy brewed his 6 weeks ago, he does a primary, secondary, and a tertiary and long bottle conditioning...

SO you might want to revise your brew calendar.
basically next week is what i meant by later :cross: this weekend is kinda crazy...but maybe midweek next week too. there is about 10 weeks left until Halloween... so i should be good even if it takes me until next weekend or so to get around to it. i normally brew 2 months to 10 weeks minimum before i want it to be ready. so that leaves me with about a week or so before i get too close to that limit and if it doesn't taste ready on Halloween... then i guess it will be thanksgiving desert pie beer instead :mug:

Thanks for the replies, I stopped at my homebrew store with a few recipes off here and they felt that they were too heavily hopped (especially the thunderstruck pumpkin ale)and would eliminate the pumpkin taste.
Brewing this one tomorrow.
6lbs light DME or 7.2 light LME (forgot to ask which one they sold me)
Grains.
1/2lb Caramunich
1/2lb Chocolate
8lb pumpkin or 30oz canned
9HBU Centennial Hop Pellets
California Ale yeast
20grams of Pumpkin Pie spice
Irish Moss
What do you guys think?
Ken

Is there anyone who has made this and consumed it... I am currently looking for a good pumpkin porter and this is the only one I have found.... I am looking for and extract recipe as this is....

Latest posts

Back