Accidental crash during 2nd day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZevsDad

Reaction score
i am making a Grodziskie (Polish smoked wheat beer) using the Wyeast 2575-PC. I left it at cellar temp (67F) the first night to get it going and had a nice krausen in the morning. Then I put it in my fridge with the manufacturer's thermostat set to the highest it can go. I was hoping it would stay above 55F, but this morning it was at 41F :eek:

I pulled it out and swirled it a few times to rouse the yeast, but I don't know if that and bringing it back up to the recommended fermentation range (55-70F) will wake the little suckers up enough to finish their job.

The report i was reading from the Polish Homebrewers Association from this thread calls for Grodziskie fermentation at 57-60F, but that is with the native strain. At any rate, I have put the beer through a bunch of different temps at this point and don't know what I am going to get.

Any ideas?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. They'll probably wake right back up and finish the job. There's not really anything to do but give it a try :mug:

I don't think you have anything to worry about. They'll probably wake right back up and finish the job. There's not really anything to do but give it a try :mug:

I agree. Yeast are far more resilient than we sometimes give them credit for. Get it back up to temp, give them a little rouse and you'll probably be fine.

Your yeast should be fine

me on the other hand... I am not fine because I dont have a good recipe for Grodziskie. Did you use the recipe in your link or do you have your own?

I dont have a good recipe for Grodziskie. Did you use the recipe in your link or do you have your own?

I riffed on the Polish Homebrewers paper. Here's the Beersmith recipe. Note that water additions are based on adjusting Poland Spring bottled water to the mineral profile from the Polish paper, so your additions may vary (and I didn't actually do the epsom salt or calcium chloride since I didn't have any handy):

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 17_Grodziskie
Brewer: Zafra Whitcomb
Asst Brewer:
Style: Other Smoked Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.58 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.08 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.032 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.5 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.75 gal Grodziskie Water 1 -
2.48 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
1.96 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
1.38 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
0.28 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -
0.25 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 6 -
0.25 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 7 7.1 %
3.00 lb Smoked Wheat Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 8 85.7 %
0.25 lb Cherrywood Smoked Malt (4.0 SRM) Grain 9 7.1 %
14 g Hallertauer [4.30 %] - First Wort 90.0 m Hop 10 21.6 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
2.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 12 -
14 g Hallertauer [4.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 6.6 IBUs
14 g Saaz [3.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 14 4.6 IBUs
14 g Saaz [3.00 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Kolsch II (Wyeast #2575-PC) Yeast 16 -
Mash Schedule: Triple Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.50 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Acid Rest Add 0.75 gal of water at 105.9 F 100.0 F 30 min
Protein Rest Add 0.50 gal of water at 170.5 F 125.0 F 30 min
Saccharification Add 1.00 gal of water at 204.5 F 158.0 F 30 min
Mash Out Add 0.75 gal of water at 200.1 F 168.0 F 10 min
Sparge: Batch sparge with 1 steps (1.00gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

Note that water additions are based on adjusting Poland Spring bottled water to the mineral profile from the Polish paper, so your additions may vary (and I didn't actually do the epsom salt or calcium chloride since I didn't have any handy)

Luckily for me Michigan is a huge polish state (and I am a huge polack) so I actually have access to ample supplies of polish spring water from hamtramck and wyandotte, we actually have a polish cultural center in my city.

Thank You for the recipe! Looks like I am pulling out the smoker for this one to get some cherywood smoked malt/smoked wheat malt.

Anyone have suggestions what malt to start with to get the cherywood smoked malt?

I actually have access to ample supplies of polish spring water from hamtramck and wyandotte, we actually have a polish cultural center in my city.

Lucky guy!

Looks like I am pulling out the smoker for this one to get some cherywood smoked malt/smoked wheat malt.

Anyone have suggestions what malt to start with to get the cherywood smoked malt?

The cherrywood and most other smoked malts are smoked after the primary kilning is done, I believe, but Grodziskie smoked wheat is actually smoked while kilning and I think that is how the Weyerman is made. If you have access to green malted wheat, I guess you could smoke it yourself, but otherwise I would go with the Weyerman.

Happy to say that I did my first hydro reading on it today and it hit 1.011 - beersmith was estimating FG of 1.010. :rockin:

The intense bitterness I got in the SG sample has mellowed considerably and it has a nice lager character, but surprisingly little smoke to my (admittedly hyposensitive) nose. I think I will crash it and bottle in the next few days so it will be ready to drink while there are still some nice hot days next month.

Back