JayBird False Bottom for 10 Gallon Rubbermaid Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crags9

Reaction score
So for my birthday the wife got me a 13" False Bottom from JayBird's website for my 10 Gallon Rubbermaid Mash Tun. The false bottom does not have a hole in the middle for a dip tube, but rather sits on top of a stand, leaving it about 2" above the bottom of my cooler. My question is do I need some type of dip tube coming off of my coupler on the inside of the cooler? I'm just a little confused.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to the false bottom: False Bottom - 13" (with Stand) for 10 Gallon Picnic Cooler - MORE INFO (SFW)

Thanks everyone!

Norcal said:
Includes 2" tall stand (made of the same perforated stainless steel material) which raises false bottom above the cooler spigot for easy wort flow.

It is designed to sit above your spigot...that way you don't need the diptube.

That's what I figured, but it just seems that it would leave a lot of wort left behind... I guess I'll give it a test run to see how she works. If I don't like it, I can always go back to the old SS braid...

Out of curiosity, has anyone used this false bottom?

So for my birthday the wife got me a 13" False Bottom from JayBird's website for my 10 Gallon Rubbermaid Mash Tun. The false bottom does not have a hole in the middle for a dip tube, but rather sits on top of a stand, leaving it about 2" above the bottom of my cooler. My question is do I need some type of dip tube coming off of my coupler on the inside of the cooler? I'm just a little confused.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to the false bottom: False Bottom - 13" (with Stand) for 10 Gallon Picnic Cooler - MORE INFO (SFW)

Thanks everyone!

Yep that was designed to sit above the spigot so you don't need a dip tube saving you the $25.99. The bottom of your spigot should be less than 1" above the bottom of your cooler leaving behind about 12-16oz of low gravity wort. You do have a few options to drop the drain. A stainless street 90* and a close nipple will work as a great diptube and get your outlet down all the way to the bottom. We use it all the time in the store for customers who have flat bottom kettles. Its fairly cheep, about $10.00 and its easy. A diptube will work but its a true custom job because I have to bend the 90 and then cut it off short at an angle that we really just have to guess at for you. I can do it so if you want to go that route let me know we can work out some kind of deal for shipping for you.

Thanks for the order and if you have any other questions feel free to PM me Email me @ [email protected] or just call me at the store. (530) 243 BEER
Cheers
Jay

I am currently working on something for the rubbermaid . My idea is to use a 5 gallon bucket lid . Will drill a lot of holes in it about 1/2 in diameter for the wort to drain through . I have some stainless steel screen from a food strainer that I took apart to put over the lid to keep out grain. This sits under the spigot Put a small piece of tubing on the nipple and run it under the lid through a hole close to the nipple . Place the stainless braid on the end of the tube and wrap it around under the lid in a circle . Or just use a 6 inch piece perhaps . Putting some pieces of PVC pipe under the lid for support glued in with food grade RTV.
If it tries to rise up when full of water then I will be putting a couple bolts in . Use food grade RTV to glue nuts to the bottom of cooler and then just screw in the bolts .

15 bucks for the stainless strainer
4 ? bucks for a couple small bolts and nuts
11 bucks for the RTV from a guy on Ebay
3 bucks for the lid
a buck or so for a foot of high temp vinyl tube
4 bucks or so for a piece of PVC pipe
still less than the high price for a domed bottom and shipping .

Back