Adjusting a BarleyCrusher Gap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
I got a Barley Crusher a few months back and love it. Except my efficiencies have gone to $&!%*. I'd like to decrease the gap to produce a finer crush. I've read a lot of posts and info on their web site that talk about adjusting the gap but nobody sez how to do it.

There are the two knobs on the side I'm guessing you rotate those towards the other roller to decrease the gap. I've tried it with my fingers and mine won't budge. (course I'm not exactly Arnold Schwartzeneger).

Is that how you adjust it?
Is it safe to grab them with a VisiGrip?
How far do you turn them? I don't have feeler guages. I've read people turn them so the hash mark is at the 1 O'clock position. Would that be good for a start?

Thanks

Rudeboy

ps I used to have a Corna Mill and made basically flour and never had a stuck sparge and had great efficiencies.

There are two little screws with lock washers on the side perpendicular to the two sides the adjustment knobs are on. Loosen them and the knobs will turn no problem. Re-tighten them when finished. One word of advice... don't over-tighten those two screws and be careful loosening them. They are cheap metal (aluminum?) screws that will easily have the head snap off. One of mine did, fortunately in the "tight" position. If I ever have to get it out, I'll need an easy-out.

Get a feeler gauge (measures in incraments of .001 of an inch)from an auto parts store so you can measure the gap to make sure your rollers are parallel after adjusting.

Get a feeler gauge (measures in incraments of .001 of an inch)from an auto parts store so you can measure the gap to make sure your rollers are parallel after adjusting.

+1. You can find the cheap chinese-made ones at auto parts stores if you have no use for quality gauges for automobile work.

Back