I need some advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomadb

Reaction score
I just racked my pumpkin ale to my secondary, and i realize now that i should have taken the time to filter out more of the pumpkin when racking to the primary.

Anyway, i have about 2.5 -3 gallons in my secondary. Should i add water and bring it up to 4.5 gallons, or just take the loss. My instinct says just leave it alone, but i was just thinking it may be over potent in the spice department since there wasn't as much liquid in the carboy as i thought, originally.

Thanks,

nomaD

I'm in the same boat....my trub is about 3inches high. And the carboy is not full to the 5 gallon mark. It will only get worse when I rack to secondary.

One thing to consider is if adding water isn't an option, then we will need to scale back the amount of priming sugar we use.

DSC01789.jpg

Just take the loss. Otherwise, you have watered down beer, and that's not what you are looking for. If your pumpkin ale is too spiced, that's something you just have to deal with, too.

Yes, you need adjust your priming amounts for that actual volume you prime. One of the reasons I used DME for priming was that the math was easy: 1.25 cups for 5 gallons = 1/4 cup per gallon. If was only priming four gallons, I only used one cup. With sugar, it's a little tougher to calculate and measure, but you can make it through.

Nowadays, I design recipes for 110% (e.g., 5.5 gallons) to allow for some of that loss to trub and whatever else. I also use a 6.5 gallon carboy for a primary, so that it's easier to deal with that volume. It's a heavy friggin' fermenter, but I deal with it. One of those nylon, fermenter harnesses with handles helps a lot.

TL

TexLaw said:
Just take the loss. Otherwise, you have watered down beer, and that's not what you are looking for. If your pumpkin ale is too spiced, that's something you just have to deal with, too.

Yes, you need adjust your priming amounts for that actual volume you prime. One of the reasons I used DME for priming was that the math was easy: 1.25 cups for 5 gallons = 1/4 cup per gallon. If was only priming four gallons, I only used one cup. With sugar, it's a little tougher to calculate and measure, but you can make it through.

Nowadays, I design recipes for 110% (e.g., 5.5 gallons) to allow for some of that loss to trub and whatever else. I also use a 6.5 gallon carboy for a primary, so that it's easier to deal with that volume. It's a heavy friggin' fermenter, but I deal with it. One of those nylon, fermenter harnesses with handles helps a lot.

TL

Thanks for the advice....that's the direction i was leaning.....rather have a beer to strong than too weak :mug:

Back