Cooper's Pilsner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTownLiquorPig

Reaction score
Going to throw this kit together, with 1.3 KG of light LME and maybe dry hop with and oz of Saaz. Never made this kit before; never made anything other than Ales before.

I won't have trouble finding a spot to ferment cool enough (comes witha true pilsner yeast). What I don't have is the abilty to lager after it's fermented. What's the consensus on this one? Should I treat it like an Ale and bottle after 14 or so days with a steady SG? Can I leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks at 12-14 celsius? Am I overthinking this? Any input would be great!

Thanks Union. So ferment all the way out in my bucket, then find my coldest spot to lager in a carboy for a couple weeks? Then bottle condition as per usual? As it's a Cooper's, I'm assuming they've dumbed it down enough so that backwoods rejects like me can still get a decent beer out of it no matter how badly it's botched.

Get caught up in trying to do it (brewing) in the "right, modern way.... But really, I think brewing is like having kids eh? People pulled it off for 1000's of years before science told us how we should be doing it.

I always wondered where the melted ice goes? But yeah,a really cold spot that more or less stays around the same temp should work. Like the coldest part of the basement if it's like a polar bears backside. Or a rootcellar maybe.

Back