Pumpkin skin in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoestealer17

Reaction score
So I recently made a pumpkin ale, I did it as an extract beer, 5 gal batch. I cleaned, cooked, pureed, and added rice hulls to one pie pumpkin and added it 30 min into my boil. Trouble is Ive never cooked a fresh pumpkin before and didn't realize I had to separate the pumpkin meat from the outside skin. So the outside skin was blended up with the pumpkin meat (I could see some of the skin as small orange pieces) and added to my beer. Im not worried about any chunks, most were strained out, others will settle out, Im just worried if the pumpkin skin will have added off flavors to my beer during the 30 min boil.
Any one had any experience with this?
Thanks for your help.

Did you taste the wort when you took your reading? Trust your senses, man. If it tastes fine I am sure it will be fine. If it tastes weird, then you can just add extra spices to cover it up and call it a day.

Hmmmm... I didn't taste the wort before I started fermentation, maybe ill go ahead and do that. I just cant find anything on this, it appears most people aren't dumb enough to live the skin on the pumpkin no matter what they're using it for.

Oddly enough I was wondering earlier what would happen if you added skin. I know when I make pumpkin soup I discard the skin but mostly for texture reasons. The skin itself is as edible as any squash....just not really that wonderful to chew. I would imagine the ski would add a mild nutty flavor and possibly a slight earthy note.

Please keep me posted...

I think it'll probably drop out of suspension first, get covered by trub, and have no noticeable effect on your beer.

Back