Tomahawk hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
All right, anybody know where I can get a hold of some Tomahawk hops for a Hop Rod Rye clone??????? :confused: I've tried my local HBS, Austin Homebrew Supply, and Northern Brewer.

bootytrapper said:
This is a quote from Here

Not 100% sure, but I think thomahawk is a trade name and they are the same as Columbus.
according to promash and some other HBS, they are 2 different varieties. closest substitute is Columbus though.

i've found a few on the net that have 'em.....

i know the warrior are around 17% AAU's i was eye ballin them babys because of my love of the bitter side of life. i think if you go to hop tech they have a little more info on them!

looks like warrior or columbus would work. i'll have to exhaust my resources on the tomahawk, then decide on one or the other replacement.

thanks guys!

LupusUmbrus said:
For some reason I thought tomahawk was the same a columbus :confused:

The following is from a thread on another board...the same one mentioned by bootytrapper earlier.

The story is that the researcher who originally cross-bred Columbus later moved to another hop grower and duplicated it and called it Tomahawk. Same hop, same researcher, different company.

In Washington, where 75% of the US hop crop is grown, Columbus and Tomahawk are considered two trademarks for the same high AA (~17%) hop. Warrior isn't quite as high in AA (~15%)

Ok, so this is an old thread, but I just tried my second Mikkeller Tomahawk Single Hop, and I swear that I taste smokiness, along with some fruitiness and a good amount of bittering. Other beer tasters that were with me when I first tasted this beer said that they couldn't taste any smokiness. But I definitely do. Anyone else getting this out of Tomahawk?

Back