My first brew of 2012 is a drainpour...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellarbrau

Reaction score
Jesus Christ! My first brew of 2012 is a drainpour! Hmmm... I hope this isn't a bad omen.

What are you brewing rituals and superstitions? How should I go about removing the bad ju-ju from my brewery?

I try to always brew in my Dunder Mifflin t shirt. For bad ju ju, how about burning hops as incense and banging a copy of the Joy of Homebrewing against your chest while you chant the names of your favorite craft brews?

I try to always brew in my Dunder Mifflin t shirt. For bad ju ju, how about burning hops as incense and banging a copy of the Joy of Homebrewing against your chest while you chant the names of your favorite craft brews?

That LOL Fantastical!

Looks like you might have been slightly under temp for the 1st 24 hours. With 1338 being a notorious slow starter, I wonder if the low end temp put the kibosh on a good start and then it never recovered? Then mixing in the 1056 gave it an off-flavor? Stranger things have happened.

The problem was that you were not wearing a Star Wars t shirt whilst brewing. This is what I always do and am always successful.

Flog yourself with a racking cane, sanitize all your equipment 3 times. Recite your recipe 50 times. And fast on only beer for 6 months.

Dude, all of my beers improved once i started wearing 'coveralls'.

1. Wear Coveralls
2. ?
3. Profit

Something like that.
:mug:

GarageDweller said:
Dude, all of my beers improved once i started wearing 'coveralls'.

1. Wear Coveralls
2. ?
3. Profit

Something like that.
:mug:

Coveralls! I can't believe I never thought of that! I am going out right now to get some. I used to work in a manufacturing plant and I always thought the old guys who wore the one piece Dickies jumper (with the belt sewn own) looked like total bad@sses. I see a rapid improvement in my beer happening soon!

17 days in and you poured it? Gotta give it time, grasshoppa... Especially since it stalled!

+1 to that. Before you dump your next supposed "bad batch", please refer to the multitude of threads here on HBT that advise you not to ;)

Coveralls! I can't believe I never thought of that! I am going out right now to get some. I used to work in a manufacturing plant and I always thought the old guys who wore the one piece Dickies jumper (with the belt sewn own) looked like total bad@sses. I see a rapid improvement in my beer happening soon!

My old lady, loves the coveralls. Get a bunch of unnecessary tools and put them in the front pockets. You can't go wrong! Win Win :ban::tank:

My superstition is to never pour anything out until it has fermented, been carbonated and then conditioned at least six months.

My superstition is to never pour anything out until it has fermented, been carbonated and then conditioned at least six months.

I'm not into drinking bad or even average beer. Also, I enjoy brewing beer. So it's a pretty easy choice knowing that if I empty that carboy before the weekend it will have something good fermenting in it on Monday.

To break the curse I will bottle a liter tomorrow for tasting in 6 months. I will also brew in Carhardt coveralls and a Star Wars shirt. Sorry Office fans.

I'm not into drinking bad or even average beer. Also, I enjoy brewing beer. So it's a pretty easy choice knowing that if I empty that carboy before the weekend it will have something good fermenting in it on Monday.

To break the curse I will bottle a liter tomorrow for tasting in 6 months. I will also brew in Carhardt coveralls and a Star Wars shirt. Sorry Office fans.

Damn right. The brewing gods smile upon star wars shirts and overalls. Make sure to wear the one side down like a little kid.

I thought this was "My First Drain Pour of 2012 is...", so I'm going to answer that question instead :p.

Nut Brown from several months ago, not getting any better. I made the mistake of grabbing some non-food grade, not high temp rated tubing from Home Depot when I was there, then I used that to transfer my sparge water. There is a terrible plastic-y taste to the beer and ,who knows, maybe some carcinogens too.

I don't understand. How do you know it was bad or "average?" How did it taste?

E

Supersticious?

Brewer's hat- Every brewer should have an interesting hat to wear while brewing.

So let's see- Star Wars shirt- check, Coveralls- check, check, Interesting hat- check, check, check. One question- underwear optional in this brewing getup?

Supersticious?

Brewer's hat- Every brewer should have an interesting hat to wear while brewing.

So let's see- Star Wars shirt- check, Coveralls- check, check, Interesting hat- check, check, check. One question- underwear optional in this brewing getup?

:eek: Ok Ok... I don't want to know this unless it's from a female brewer. :mug:

(This thread took a left turn somewhere.. LOL. )

E

Think of it as the American man's kilt.

My buddy wears a kilt when he brews. I never asked if he is a traditionalsit nor do I want to know...

I'll proudly paint my face in hop green and dawn my Star Wars shirt, Coveralls, and Interesting hat to slay the evils and unsanitary environments that plague our yeast bretheren. Every yeast dies but not every yeast makes alcohol.

My Dusseldorf Alt is at 1.018 and is fermenting with wild yeast. Been there done that. It's not getting any better no matter how much I RDWHAHB. Can we get on to the more imortant topic of silly hats?

I am very old fissioned, without a proper blood sacrifice to the proper gods I really do not expect any success..

So I frequently walk around New York looking for folks to sacrifice !

I got more equipment in 2012 so I am still getting used to it. Otherwise, first beer of the year is a little more bitter and darker then I planned!

This week I made a boo-boo and accidentally got OG @1122 This is for a SheDevil... !

Back