Lager fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwade

Reaction score
So the consensus on this board seems to be to ferment ales for 3 to 4 weeks to allow the yeast to clean up some of the by-products of the fermentation. After considerable experimentation, I agree with this approach. My question is whether there is any benefit to such a long primary fermentation for lagers before the lagering process. I brewed a bock 16 days ago. 4 days ago I raised the fermentation temp to 60F and am trying to decide whether to rack to secondary and lager or let it work things out a few more days before lagering. The beer has reached anticipated FG. Any thoughts? Thanks

Lagering involves another month or so at 40'ish deg temps.When you rack it you want to have it sit for about a month at around 40ish.Lagers take longer but they are worth it. My average abv bohemian lager took about 2 months+ cold conditioning which in reality was another month,so 3 months although i drank some at 2 months.

There really isn't much difference in the fermentation between lager and ale yeasts, just the temperature. If anything, IMO, a lager would benefit more from the longer primary. Fermenting at cooler temps will keep the yeast a little slower to clean up their by products. With the cooler temperatures, the longer primary time definitely won't hurt the beer. Almost all my beers are in primary for at least 4 weeks.

Thanks guys (and/or gals)! So would you recommend leaving the temp at 60 or slowly dropping it back down to 50 for the remainder of the primary fermentation? (I understand that after primary it needs to be lagered in a secondary vessel.)

Back