Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get into an argument with your Fiance and she says 3

"All you do is dick around and brew beer. I go to college and work."

Then your reply is,

"Last I checked your 2 hours of college a day 4 days a week and 8 hours of work total 10 hour days on average. I pull 10 1/2 to 12 hour days and have worked 60 hours this week. By the way give me back the case of apelfwein at your place if you hate me brewing so much."

She retorts

"Your beer sucks anyway I had to drink 4 last night to determine whether or not I liked it."

Me

"Really 4? It took 4 for you to determine it sucked?"

Her

"Alright fine it's amazing just come over later I'm just frustrated from work."

Thats funny as ****. Sounds very similar to the wife and I arguments. Ah Yeh Nooky Time!!

dude .. Yea my wife likes that I brew beer only if... I brew something that she likes.. HG beers are always out of the qustion but she loves an AG basic porter, Wheat and anyother basic beer.. but you start expermenting she does not like it.. only one rule in the house... I am not allowed to talk about brewing... but I get it.. I really dont want to hear her talk about shoes and make up....

If you have more brewing supplies laying around than you do food.

If you wake on a brew day and it feels like Christmas morning.

If you have to plan vacations around your brewing schedule.

If you have more brewing supplies laying around than you do food.

If you wake on a brew day and it feels like Christmas morning.

If you have to plan vacations around your brewing schedule.

Wow, you guys have problems. :D

My planned brew day (first AG since 2007) is next Friday. I sure hope to hell it does feel like Christmas for as much planning and effort I've put into it.

when you have BeerSmith2 installed on your work computer.

when your boss walks up as you're tinkering in BeerSmith2, and you explain to your boss that you realized that your absorption rate is actually .14.

When you have the chief of police standing in the doorway of your campus home asking if you're the primary resident.

I spent near 45 minutes trying to convince local law enforcement why they should not arrest me, and why that funky copper coil under my basement stairs should not be confiscated as evidence. It took a phone call to Virginia's ABC agents and several catalogues to convince the chief that an immersion chiller is legal paraphernalia of a legal pastime.

On the upside, this happened in a very small, rural college town, and by the end of my interview, they informed me of openings in their force. God Bless America.

When your wife still insists that she loves all your beers because they have more flavor,body, &...wait for it....ALCOHOL than the old BMC's. Made me wanna get the rest of the supplies needed for another 12G between the 2 of us.

When you buy a beer you've never had mainly because it has a cool bottle you can reuse there are some very cool Lithuanian ones...and some of them even come with good beer inside.:D

When you still haven't brewed another batch of your favorite because you're still working on that ever growing list of wanna try beers.

Zokfend said:
when you have BeerSmith2 installed on your work computer.

when your boss walks up as you're tinkering in BeerSmith2, and you explain to your boss that you realized that your absorption rate is actually .14.

That's nothing until you've installed BeerSmith(2) to your dropbox folder so it will sync with your home desktop, brewing laptop and work computer. Then you spend your breaks and lunch hours and any moment you can get away with at work formulating your recipes.

When you've bottled so much beer that you break down and build a keggerator and buy a dozen kegs.

When you've bottled so much beer that you break down and build a keggerator and buy a dozen kegs.

haha only bottled one batch before I realized I was done with that. I think the secret is to make your wife help. That makes it easier to sell the "this will be much faster with kegs" bit.

When you buy a house and the thing you are most excited about is expanding your homebrewing territory.

You're watching the Terra Nova premiere and you suddenly spot a new italian-style 3 gallon ball lock keg with those metal handles.

You wish your upcoming club Big Brew could just be allocated to your house because you want it all for yourself! That might not be homebrew addiction though. Just alcohol addiction. :)

Hell ya. I look at my house basically as the best upgrade to my brewing system so far haha

When your 4 year-old son is playing at preschool and asks the teacher, 'I'm making some beer... what kind do you like?'

My wife had fun explaining that one when she picked him up that day :p

Lolz! Reminds me of when I was 2 or 3 in similar situations with the adults. I had a habit of saying to them,"let me twy dat!". Hey,it looked good,they were certainly enjoying it,sooo....??

jamboparty said:
When your 4 year-old son is playing at preschool and asks the teacher, 'I'm making some beer... what kind do you like?'

My wife had fun explaining that one when she picked him up that day :p

That is AWESOME

When you have a fully enclosed hot tub room and haul the hot tub to the dump so you can have a brew room

Yes I saved the pump, heater and controls just in case

When you tell other homebrewers how often you brew and they tell you that you have a home brewing problem.

When your inventory,brewing equipement supplies invades the territory where normal pots/pans storage goes and you start sticking appliances in your basement and you have a beer refrigerater cooler in you kitchen replacing ice everyday and you check on your beers cellering/conditioning to make shure they are ok often. And admire at how well they are clearing up and looking beautiful.

* When your wife has to buy new kitchen utensils because you have them all
* When UPS/Fed Ex shows up weekly with some new brewing equipment
* When you no longer go down the beer isle at Safeway because "All that s**t sucks"

Back