Munich malt LME - in the store need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
I need to get .5 lbs of Munich malt LME, the home brew store sells bavarian wheat, pilsen light golden light and sparkling amber LME, they do sell Munich grain, can steep that?? How much should I steep?

Amy help would be great cuz I'm just standing in the store looking like a fool & the home Brew guy doesn't work today

Munich malt needs to be mashed. Steep a pound of it in 5 cups water (1.25 quarts) at 150 to 155 degrees. Hold it for an hour. Drain (saving the liquid of course!), then add another 2 quarts hot water, stir and drain. Add the water from these two steps to your boil pot and proceed.

Look at it this way: eventually you will be going all-grain, right? You might as well get your toe in the water.

munich malt needs to be mashed, but you can still steep it to get some flavor/color from it, you just won't get much sugar. 0.5lb of LME = 2/3 lb of grain, but since munich lme is only 50% munich, you'd only want 1/3 lb of munich. I'd just get 0.5lb munich malt and call it even

Thank you! I got the .5 of Munich. I am also steeping .75 of victory, should I just include the victory in my mash?

When mashing: should i put all my grains in a steeping bag or should the be free in my pot, and then adding the second 5 cups of water, do i add that to the grain or to the drained off solution? Thanks for all the help!

include all the grains together in a bag. since its only 1.25lbs, not much sugar is coming from it anyway, but you may want to grab like 0.5lb of 2-row to ensure conversion if you are going to mash them. however, those grains are essentially just in there for color/flavor since this is a extract batch tho so its not necessary and you can just steep it if you want.

Back