sam adams chocolate bock copy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneypierce

Reaction score
Alright, I just popped the top on a Sam Adams Chocolate Boch and man o man is this stuff good!!! So good infact, that I would like to try my hand at making a batch!! Its got a GREAT chocolate flavor to it, I would say almost amazing... Anyone have a good clone, or one that might be even a hair more chocolate. I dont want anything with less then this, its almost the perfect amount IMHO. Thanks in advance!!

I'm going to start working on a clone just as soon as I have an empty primary. I had my first yesterday and it's by far my favorite chocolate beer so far. Being fairly new to the home brew scene, you might be waiting a while if you rely on me ;)

I'm going to start by finding a rich hearty bock and adjusting for a healthy portion of coco nibs.

HexKrak, im VERY new to the home brew scene. Only have 2 batches under my belt so far. And the second one is in the primary still :) Please do keep in touch on this one my friend!!!

Hmm I'll trade you guys my Chocolate Bocks for your Old Fezzi's! Too much nestle quick like taste for me.... But I would also be interested in this recipe (I would personally back down on the cocoa).

I think it's that chocolate milk flavor that's spurring the reminiscent memories causing a lot of my fondness for this beer. In fact I'm thinking that depending on how dry the porter would normally ferment out I'll probably add some lactose to add body.

And rodney you're barely behind me. I only have 1 case left of my 3rd batch of beer (which I'm saving till new years or it'd be gone already).

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I too loved the taste of the Sam Adams chocolate bock, I'm very new to brewing as well. My 1st batch is still in the primary bubbling away = )

Hmm I'll trade you guys my Chocolate Bocks for your Old Fezzi's! Too much nestle quick like taste for me.... But I would also be interested in this recipe (I would personally back down on the cocoa).

I would love to take you up on that :rockin:

On a serious note, I havnt tried the Old Fezzi's yet. I will be doing so tonight. I did some more searching, and it looks like there is quite a few people who enjoy this beer. Time to start making a clone. Man im thirsty and its only 9:40. 2:30 cant come soon enough :mug::mug::mug:

After doing a little more research it looks like I'll have to get my ferm closet set up before I can make this. A bock is actually a strong sweet bottom fermenting lager, and I'm not set up to do lagers yet as they require long term, consistent cold storage.

Other than that, I think the key to this one is making a nice sweet finishing medium dark bock, and then aging it on a healthy portion of cocoa nibs. I might try it with a porter recipe, but I'm sure it won't be the same.

let me do a little research on this tonight also. I havnt had a chance to do much of any research yet. Ill see what I can come up with tonight also.

let me see how warm my garage fridge gets. if it will go to 50 we will be in the ball game. ill check it out tonight. ahs has a chocolate Bock that would likely work great as the starter. then just transfer to secondary on top of the cocau nibs.....

Back