The Muse, my second all-brett beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saq,

I finally brewed my brett beer. I did not use your recipe I actually used a Bells best brown ale recipe cut back the bitterness to 20 ibu's, and pitched US-05 and Brett B at the same time. Kept the beer upstairs so it was around 68 ambient temp.

I transfered to secondary last night and tasted, it was in primary for 4 weeks. There is a definite wild taste to the beer with a slight maltiness and bitterness on the back end.

Just wondering since I did a dual fermentation with saccharomyces do I have to condition this as long as an all brett beer?

A different recipe and different yeast process would indeed make this a beer completely unrelated to The Muse.
When using brett in secondary you are probably going to see a significantly longer period of fermentation before brett finishes out. Look at how Orval handles it in Brew Like A Monk for info.

Gave this a try last week- pretty much followed same recipe with couple minor changes. Grain bill is same, but I used amarillo hops to get to 22-25 ibu's. I was going for a riff on goose island's Sofie (I didn't say clone!) which is a twist on Orval from what I've read. I mashed slightly higher too (150-152). Pitched a healthy stepped up Brett L starter. Lag time was 24-30 hours, then she took off. Started off low-65*- but after a day ramped it up to 72-75*. The Krausen looked weird-not like some pellicles I've seen. I will try to get a pic.
I plan on letting it go 6-8 weeks, racking to clear, and hitting it with a touch of orange peel (a la Sofie). I hope I can hold out several months. I get the feeling this is going to be a nice summer brew.

Latest posts

Back