Straining vs Leaving fruit in wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r3bol

Reaction score
I've noticed in some of the step by step tutorials that some authors talk about straining fruit after a few days, and some advise to keep it in.

Check this out...

If you left the fruity pulpy stuff in the fermenter, it would eventually grow disgusting and rot... and would cetainly not leave you with something winey... so you have to strain the pulp off.
Source: Wine brewing - Cunnan

vs

Racking --- Don't you dare
Source: Ancient Orange Cinnamon & Clove Mead

What is the deal with the straining and the racking. Am I poisoning myself if I leave some fruit skins in the wine during fermentation (only removing it before bottling)?

It seems that the reason for leaving skins in the fermenter are to add more flavor and color to the must. The rationale for the first citation is obvious if it were infected. This is why one should treat their fruit+skins with campden tablets or equivalent to keep this from happening. If the fruit is in the must for weeks or even months, it shouldn't be a problem as long as adequate SO2 levels are kept.

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask one more thing?

When I'm taking the fruit out of the must, should I avoid oxidizing it at this stage or is some casual splashing ok? My must is only a 1 or 2 days old and has had yeast in from the beginning. The main 'frothing' has stopped and there is now a steady gas release.

Back