Cooler style MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyShootist

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am trying to get the materials together to make a MLT that will support 10 gal batches. What I am finding is that locating a 10gal round water cooler is near impossible. I can find the 5gal units but not the 10s. I've looked everywhere but haven't gone to the online stores yet.

So now I am rethinking the round cooler approach and considering a regular rectangular ice chest model. Are there any specific models or specifications that I should be considering? I know the dimensions of the cooler are important in order to get a good grain bed. I'll be wanting to do both 5 and 10 gal batches which is why the round coolers appealed to me.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers
TC

I am surprised that your local Home Depot doesn't have them. They are in the garden tool section here. I have no experience with the rectangular ones though sorry.

Coleman Extremes seem to be the preferred rectangular cooler among the HBT cognoscenti. My understand is they hold temp very well and they come rather cheap.

I have a 10 gallon round...

For the money if your handy I would either go with the igloo 48 quart ice cube(the one WITHOUT wheels) or the colman 10 gallon cooler(its square not round but similiar tall not wide footprint) You would have to build your own manifold or go with a braid if you want to batch sparge.... but they are both half to less then half the price of a 10 gallon gott/rubbermade round cooler....

Pluss the 48 quart ice cube is 12 gallons instead of 10 :)

i've got an igloo 10 round, a rubbermaid 10 round, and a coleman extreme 58 qt rectangle, they all hold heat well, for the price the the coleman is the best deal.

I haven't tried a ten gallon batch in it yet, but it looks like theres plenty of room. the most grain I've had in it so far is about 13 lbs 1.5 qt per pound mash and it looked to be a little under half full. I batch sparge with a 1/2 inch braided line running the full length, and it flows nicely.

Picture 881.jpg

Can't complain about the 70 qt. Coleman Xtreme & batch sparging with stainless braid. Cheap at wall-mart and other fine stores... Quick & easy & efficient too. If you want to do an IIPA or Imperial Stout the 70 will get you by. For a Barley Wine you'll be pushing it.

Yea, the local Home Depot has them for a good price.

Of course my SWMBO works for them and does get a good deal on em...

Back