Think I have to dump this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

Recently, I have been culturing some hoegaarden witbier yeast. I smelled the starter bottle the other day, and its scent was not sweet, as I would expect. On the other hand, it smelled slightly bitter and acidic. Think this is infection? This is only slightly, not a strong smell. A bit noticeable.

Is there any other information I could provide you to help determine what it is?

Previously I let the same yeast fermet to finish, and it smelled sweet, while this sample has come out smelling bitter and acidic (not fermeted to finish yet)

Cheers,
Marius

I think you need other signs for it to be an infection. From my experience, I found that starters don't exactly smell the same as what you'd expect beer to smell like.

Does that mean you think it's safe?

Could these scents be infections?

Thanks, Marius

Smelling bitter and acidic doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad batch. Look up some of the infection threads and if your starter looks like that, then yea it should be dumped. But as of right now I wouldn't.

Latest posts

Back