Type of weight metal in hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNBrews

Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of metal is usually used in the base of hydrometers to give them weight? I'm *really* hoping it's something benign like tin, and not lead. The reason I ask is that while brewing with my brother-in-law the other day, my hydrometer fell off the counter and the weighted half ended-up in the fermenter. :(

Normally lead metal doesn't have a very high solubility, but beer is a bit acidic and I wonder if maybe we should pitch the batch.

Iron or steel. Everything made these days has to lead free. I did the same thing about 10 years ago and got it all out with a magnet.

Paul

Iron or steel. Everything made these days has to lead free. I did the same thing about 10 years ago and got it all out with a magnet.

Paul

Really?
I bought mine about a year ago and it says "lead weighted hydrometer" right on the paper inside it.

The only lead that will hurt you would be from a gun. If your worried about it with a conical fermenter you might get lucky and have it come out during a quick trub dump. If not go in there with a sterilized small long handled spoon bent into a mini ladle. Think about how many people that store wine in leaded crystal decanters?

Back