Mashing potatoes and rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
So I've seen data showing that potatoes have enzymes and can self convert. I've also seen complex methods trying to extract sugars. Has anyone just tried mashing at 155 for an hour and a half?
I was thinking of doing just this, and adding some instant rice and then aging sorghum syrup during the boil, if I get a decent yield from the taters and rice

You're probably thinking of sweet potatoes, not regular potatoes. Yes, I've tried mashing with them. They only seemed to contribute a couple of gravity points with my methods, though they do add a nice taste that goes particularly well with Saaz hops. If there's one thing I've learned about brewing through my research, it's that if someone describes a complex methodology to achieve something, a simpler one probably won't do.

I made a beer with potatoes in the mash it was pretty good. I think they add a bit of a dryness to the beer.

Back