Shipping Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I've ordered 2 kits, both using liquid yeast. What I didn't do was request either an ice pack or separate 2day shipping for the yeast. Will the yeast be OK? It is still plenty cold here in the east, but the shipment comes from California via UPS. And I don't know what the conditions are like on the UPS truck, although my guess is they aren't insulated, so it'll be cold through most of the country.

If I make a starter with the yeast to proof it, what do I look for? I've never used liquid yeast before. One is a lager, the other an ale if it makes a difference.

Most likely they're fine. Make up a starter and put an airlock on it, and after a day or so you should see the yeast kicking around in there, as well as some airlock activity and possibly a little krausen.

Thanks. I'll do a starter just to make sure it's good.

I just hope the cold weather holds up long enough for my lager. I'm depending on a cool spot in my house to stay cool. OTOH, I'm ready for spring. 60 on Monday/Tuesday is the forecast here in NYC.

Back