How much sun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So it looks like im gonna be buying a house... and being very poor....

I would like to grow hops... but my back yard will not have lots of sun... will it work?

The rhizomes need to be planted soon right? can I plant them in pots, and then plant them in the ground in a month or 2?

Thanks for the help!

[X]- I checked the wiki and didn't find anything...

Full sun is general 8 to 10 hours a day. Can it work with less? Yes, but your yield will be reduced.

You could start them in a container for later transplant but make sure the container is as big as you can find. Your kitty litter tubs would be probably work but if you can find bigger it's better. Rhizomes will spend the first few weeks developing roots. Whatever container you use, put lots of drainage holes in it. I use a 1/4 inch drill bit and put holes in the bottom and also around the sides a couple inches from the bottom. This allows for drainage even if you get a spring shower that overwhelms the pot with water.

Good luck on getting your house!

Full sun for hops is 14-16 hours a day, but for homebrewers lesser amounts will serve. Don't forget, by the time the side arms start, the bines will be 12-15 feet closer to the sun.;)

Back