2nd AG Biere de Garde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
After learning the hard way on a couple of batches, I did my 2nd AG session last night with my new converted keg brewing system. I figured I must've done something wrong, because it went well and went pretty quickly - about 5 or 6 hours. I figured I'd stick with something simple, but also Belgian (sounds like a contradictory phrase!) so I'm fermenting what I hope will be a Biere de Garde. Here's my ingredients list, though I won't bore you with the details of the brewing itself:

5 lbs. American Pale Malt
1 lbs. Marris Otter
1 lbs. Carapils
.5 lbs. Biscuit Malt
.5 lbs. Munich Malt

1 oz. Cascade hops
1 oz. Saaz hops
1 oz. Willamette hops

Wyeast Belgian Abbey II 1762

Everything pretty much went without a hitch and the airlock has been bubbling since a couple of hours after inoculation. I couldn't ask for much more on this one.

That's why it went faster.........
If you know what to do, there are no hesitations. If you keep your head you will do well every time.

Yep 5-6 hrs is a decent brew day. Make sure you try to ferment that brew kind of warm if you can. at least 70-75 to keep the yeast happy plus you will get allot of nice flavors with that temp. Also I don't mind a longer brew day. I like the process of brewing beer.

Josh, while a warm fermentation like you described would help make esters present, wouldn't it also have a chance of leading to off-tastes? I'm not sure what the threshold is between off-tastes and esters. : /

paulthenurse said:
I don't get why everyone wants to speed up their brew day. Do you try to get it over quickly when you're in the sack? It works but I've found it's generally a more satisfying time to stretch it out a bit. Of course that is just me, YMMV.

While i would like to think lifting my "gear" is as heavy as lifting brewing equipment..sadly it is not. While i like brewing is it in the same class as being "in the sack", naaaa. Its like the lonely touch game, while that is fun, its always better with a partner. While brewing is fun, its the drinking of the finished product that keeps most of us brewing.

After learning the hard way on a couple of batches, I did my 2nd AG session last night with my new converted keg brewing system. I figured I must've done something wrong, because it went well and went pretty quickly - about 5 or 6 hours. I figured I'd stick with something simple, but also Belgian (sounds like a contradictory phrase!) so I'm fermenting what I hope will be a Biere de Garde. Here's my ingredients list, though I won't bore you with the details of the brewing itself:

5 lbs. American Pale Malt
1 lbs. Marris Otter
1 lbs. Carapils
.5 lbs. Biscuit Malt
.5 lbs. Munich Malt

1 oz. Cascade hops
1 oz. Saaz hops
1 oz. Willamette hops

Wyeast Belgian Abbey II 1762

Everything pretty much went without a hitch and the airlock has been bubbling since a couple of hours after inoculation. I couldn't ask for much more on this one.

Picking up an old thread here and giving some of my thoughts;

Style-wise; Wouldn't this recipe be more like a belgian dubbel?

According to the style, Biere De Garde shouldn't have a belgian type yeast. Rather, the style calls for a yeast that accentuates the malt character, and adds kind of a "moldy, cellar" taste hard to describe and mimick. The style may have a sweet aroma, but should have a dry finish. I think Wyeast has a seasonal "Biere de garde yeast", but you could probably also use Wyeast European Ale or even WLP "European ale/Kolsch".

The best hops (true to style) for this kind of ale would probably be Styrian Goldings, Saaz, or similar. 25-30 IBUs

Back