Propane Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
After 5 years of brewing, I'm finally in a space big enough (and have a wallet big enough) to start utilizing a full-wort boil in my brewing process. I'm investing in a Mega Pot 40 quart Brew Kettle (see Northernbrewer.com) and I'd like some suggestions on a good, (dare I say it) economical, propane burner/stand. The sooner I get this figured out and ordered, the sooner I can start brewing again! Thanks for your help!

I just went to Lowes and for $40, I bought a 20 qt pot, stand, 60k btu burner, and all the gas hook ups with a HP regulator. I had to put the stand together, but I took 3 gallons of peanut oil to 400 degrees in about 30 minutes. It would work great for a brew pot set up. And After I fried my turkey in it, there was no black residue on the botoom of the pot from the burner. Not a bad $40 spent, and I can brew with it if I need to too.

I would not recommend a flat bottomed brew pot. The converted keg is the most versatile, durable, and readily availble brewers kettle ever made. Plus, it's a full 60 quarts (actually, 62) which can easily accommodate enough wort for a 10 gallon batch. Sabco (www.kegs.com) has already converted kegs for $100, with a full coupling (for a valve and kettle screen), plus a half coupling (for a sight glass). Everything you need, acid cleaned, and pristine.

Regarding burners, the burner at Sabco is very nice, I've got one and it really puts out the heat. Personally, I think bigger is better in this instance. Get something rated to at least 100 kBTU/hr.

Prosit!

There are no drawbacks or disadvantages to using a reconditioned keg as opposed to a new keg? Even with the acid cleaning, you find no residuals left from any previous storage? This is very interesting...would you still recommend such a big kettle if I'm still only brew five gallon batches?

brackbrew said:
There are no drawbacks or disadvantages to using a reconditioned keg as opposed to a new keg? Even with the acid cleaning, you find no residuals left from any previous storage? This is very interesting...would you still recommend such a big kettle if I'm still only brew five gallon batches?

I cannot think of one disadvantage, only advantages.

brackbrew said:
...would you still recommend such a big kettle if I'm still only brew five gallon batches?

Most definitely. :D

Back