Growlers to bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodHokie4

Reaction score
So, my local brew-pub just started doing growlers for take-home enjoyment. I didn't know if anyone knew if it were possible to pour the beer out of the growler into bottles, cap, and enjoy in portioned amounts every now and again.

My main concern for this is that they make new beers all the time and if they release a really cool one right after i fill up my growler, I'd like to know if there was a way to preserve the contents to get it filled with the new stuff.

My thoughts were using a siphon with the bottling adapter to minimize agitating. If it could be done gently, would it keep?

You'd have to deal with oxidation - so Id say unless you we're going be getting your full on beer nerd on than go for it - you might loose some carbonation though

My thoughts were using a siphon with the bottling adapter to minimize agitating. If it could be done gently, would it keep?

In pure theory, maybe. In reality, not likely to end well. You would need to drink it FAST in order to not have the oxidization show it's ugly rectum. :eek: Then there's the loss of carbonation. Not to mention all the things you'll order just to try this.

IMO, you're better off just getting more growlers, as needed, if you can't drain them fast enough. :rockin: Or invite a friend over to share it with. :ban:

I had the same thought, and I've been thinking about doing the same thing. There are some cool local releases that only come in growlers but would be great candidates for cellaring, e.g. RIS.

What is the danger in siphoning, just like you would if you were filling bottles out of your fermenter?

Oxidation is definitely an issue. Most places fill the growlers from the tap and dont purge the headspace. This is why they usually reccomend that you finish it within a week for best results. With siphoning you will most likely agitate it and subject it to a little more oxygen.

I think I may go fill up a growler and test this theory with a single bottle. Then, worst-case I'll have only lost 12oz, opposed the whole thing. If I can get around to doing this, I'll be sure to post my results.

Back