Oak spirals causing oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
I recently racked (23 days ago) a big brown ale on top of an oak spiral which had been soaked in bourbon. I broke the spiral in half before adding it.

Maybe a week later I noticed some bubbles forming around the floating spirals. It's obviously not still fermenting, I tasted it yesterday and nothing is wrong with it. All I can think of is that the spiral created nucleation points and caused it to foam. I would imagine this wouldn't be good in terms of oxidation.

Any thoughts?

They do this in wine too...you do have some trapped are within the pores of the wood that works its way out but nothing of concern. This is why Budweiser Beechwood ages....lots of surface area and nucleation sites.

This is why Budweiser Beechwood ages....lots of surface area and nucleation sites.

Budweiser 'ages' on processed beechwood that can impart little to no flavor just so that the bottom fermenting lager yeast has plenty of surface area to settle on and still ferment. Budweiser's beechwood aging is an entirely different animal than aging on oak or any other flavorful hardwood.

Back