Founders All Day IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATED: Using Amarillo hops

I'm thinking its just base malt with some light caramels for a touch of color.

single infusion mash with 75% efficiency. SG=1.048 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=42.1 using Rager. ABV clocks in between 4.4% and 4.8% depending on the yeast strain used.

3.36kg 2-row base malt
0.63kg Caramel 20L

0.75oz Cascade 8.9%AA 50 minutes
0.50oz Amarillo 8.6%AA 25 minutes
1 oz Amarillo 8.6%AA 10 minutes
1 oz Centennial 9.9%AA Dryhop for 1 week

Use a neutral yeast like WLP001, or whatever you use for your house strain. Wyeast 1056? Safale US-05?

You can sub in 3kg Briess CBW Golden Light LME and remove all grains to get about 4.5%ABV and SRM=5 with IBU=43. Let's get some discussion on this idea and see what people think about it. If you want to adjust the color darker, use a little bit of Chocolate malt since it acts like a Caramel malt in small quantities and won't change the flavor like a roasted barley or black patent malt will. You also don't need to mash chocolate malt, just steep for 30 minutes between 140-170F (closer to 140 for less bitterness from the husk).

I used Cascade for bitterness and the citrus peel flavor. i used the centennial dry hopping flavors and aroma because i use it frequently and thought i tasted it, but not overpowering.

:mug:

Nice. I like this!

Yeah, 1056 is pretty basic and might work .

Those hops are new to me (the second one). Would citra fit at all?

Citra has a completely different profile. I did a little bit of a research after the post and I really think it is going to be the Amarillo hop. The new Galaxy hop from Australia would be nice as well, but different. I don't think you could really sub out the flavor and aroma hops and get the same beer though.

Nobody wants to tackle this one?

its on the schedule for next week now. using the Amarillo hops. 3 brews over the next two weeks :rockin:

on deck:
Founders All Day IPA Clone
Wit Bier w/Orange & Coriander
DFH 120 Minute IPA Clone

Cool!

Ill be waiting. Im doing lakefront fixed gear right now!

Let me know results.

:)

I am not sure about Amarillo. I get a lot of apricot / sweet tropical flavors when I use them and it is a very distinct flavor that I didn't pick up in all day. I think all day is mostly cascades if not exclusively. It reminded me a lot of the beer from Ale Asylum called hopalicious which they openly state as being 100% cascades.

I am pretty certain they used Centennial in the Dry Hops at least, but not too large of an addition. It has a pretty distinct flavor to it. What do you think about Ahtanum? I have used Cascade in a single hop before and it didn't have the character I noticed in the ADIPA. That's why I was going with a different hop for the flavor and aroma. probably going to buy the stuff sunday and brew monday (going extract for time purposes).

Yeah I think using a touch of centennial would be good if you want to add a second variety. Now that you say that, I can see how centennial would fit into all day. I haven't used ahtanum before so I don't know what it does for the flavor. Whatever you settle on it should be tasty even if you stick with amarillo. Good luck on the brew!

I am pretty certain they used Centennial in the Dry Hops at least, but not too large of an addition. It has a pretty distinct flavor to it. What do you think about Ahtanum? I have used Cascade in a single hop before and it didn't have the character I noticed in the ADIPA. That's why I was going with a different hop for the flavor and aroma. probably going to buy the stuff sunday and brew monday (going extract for time purposes).

So is this one on your schedule for this week or did you already go for it?

So is this one on your schedule for this week or did you already go for it?

I am actually brewing it right now. I am doing the extract version with 2oz of Briess Chocolate Malt used for color adjustment. When used in small amounts, it tends to act as a Caramel malt as far as flavor goes and I don't think this will be enough to get the full Chocolate Malt flavor, but I don't know exactly where that cutoff is yet (not enough experimentation with it yet). Just opened the Amarillo leaf hops from Hop Union (10.4%AA) and they smell amazing. There is a very mild citrus aroma to them and a sweet, floral aroma dominates. 17 minutes until flavor hop addition. I'll keep you posted on how it develops. Also using WLP862 Cry Havoc as Ale since that's been my house strain for about 6 months now.

I am actually brewing it right now. I am doing the extract version with 2oz of Briess Chocolate Malt used for color adjustment. When used in small amounts, it tends to act as a Caramel malt as far as flavor goes and I don't think this will be enough to get the full Chocolate Malt flavor, but I don't know exactly where that cutoff is yet (not enough experimentation with it yet). Just opened the Amarillo leaf hops from Hop Union (10.4%AA) and they smell amazing. There is a very mild citrus aroma to them and a sweet, floral aroma dominates. 17 minutes until flavor hop addition. I'll keep you posted on how it develops. Also using WLP862 Cry Havoc as Ale since that's been my house strain for about 6 months now.

Awesome! Can't wait.

Do you feel that after smelling the Amarillo it matches?

The citrus is definitely a character.

Awesome! Can't wait.

Do you feel that after smelling the Amarillo it matches?

The citrus is definitely a character.

the cascade will lend some citrus even as a bittering hop. i have been using it in a Bells Two Hearted clone as well for that reason (that one is all Centennial, but their yeast has a citrus quality). I think it will at least be close. Also, if you read about the Bells Hopslam, they say Amarillo is a key hop in their aroma and I picked up some similarities between the two beers.

Hmmm. I have a two hearted in the secondary right now. I was going to dry hop with the centennial..maybe i should grab some amarillo instead? or do both.

Hmmm. I have a two hearted in the secondary right now. I was going to dry hop with the centennial..maybe i should grab some amarillo instead? or do both.

:off:the amarillo would be a very interesting addition, but i don't think it would be good if you wanted to make two hearted. what was your hop schedule? :off:

i'll post an update on this beer in a week or two when i decide to rack to secondary and dryhop.

I'm going to dry hop the Two Hearted on Saturday. I was only going to do 1oz of Centennial for 1 week.

i would go a little more, like 2oz total for 5gal. and i might throw in 1/4 to 1/2oz of cascade for that citrus, but it will be really good with just centennial too.

so, I have this bad habit where I need to take frequent samples of my beers, purely to check the gravity. Then I'm left with beer that i can't return to the carboy and I have to do something with it, so I force it down. Of course I do this purely for taste evaluation. However, I can tell you I am convinced the Amarillo hop is correct here. Fermentation is almost done (gravity=1.019).

This is good news!

I will make this as my next batch.

I just want to know as things progress if the recipe needs any changes.

Im looking to brew next weekend but i can wait for instructions :)

This is good news!

I will make this as my next batch.

I just want to know as things progress if the recipe needs any changes.

Im looking to brew next weekend but i can wait for instructions :)

i won't be able to give a final recipe eval until it is bottled and carbonated in a few more weeks here, but i think so far it is pretty close. use the WLP001 yeast or equivalent Wyeast. Maybe use a tiny bit less cascade for bittering and do more flavor addition. aroma is pretty good, but it is still fermenting. if you are doing extract, do about 1oz of chocolate malt for color correction and expect to get more color out of it than you should steeping it for 30 minutes. if you do this, you will have a good beer that will be pretty darn close to the original, but the flavors are still going to change on me between now and bottling. can't hurt to go for it now and then do another batch of it afterwards too.

I know someone said that they dont think citra is in this beer, but I think it might be. I recently brewed an all citra IPA, and the flavor and aroma were pretty much identical to All Day IPA.

I just had some all day on draft yesterday and I have to side with you on the Amarillo now. I didn't notice it so much from the bottle but on draft it was pretty prominent. I might have hinted some dank Columbus in there too. What do you think?

I think I'm gonna have to try it again for the Columbus hop. I didn't pick up on it, but I can't rule it out like some other hops. The Amarillo smells amazing in it though.

did you drink it out of the bottle at first, or did you pour into a pint glass? i got the Amarillo from the bottle when it was in a pint glass, but not when I first opened it.

This was on NB's site. Somebody tried to get in the All Day profile with this:

3.75 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 45.45 %
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 36.36 %
0.60 lb Munich LME (9.0 SRM) Extract 7.27 %

0.30 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
0.30 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
0.30 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %

3.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.80 oz Citra [11.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.9 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (15 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (10 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.80 oz Citra [11.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.60 oz Citra [11.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

This was on NB's site. Somebody tried to get in the All Day profile with this:

3.75 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 45.45 %
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 36.36 %
0.60 lb Munich LME (9.0 SRM) Extract 7.27 %

0.30 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
0.30 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
0.30 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %

3.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.80 oz Citra [11.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.9 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (15 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (10 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.80 oz Citra [11.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.60 oz Citra [11.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

maybe citra for the bittering, a little in the flavoring, and some with the centennial in the dryhopping would work. have you used melanoiden malt before? i helped brew a beer with it in it recently, but i haven't tried it yet, so i don't know what it actually tastes like. this grain bill also seems a bit malty to me for the All Day, but it looks like a good beer anyway.

tasted it to see if it was ready to bottle and it has a nice aroma and flavor. Final Gravity 1.013. i think this will be close to the target. i might put in more for the aroma hop addition, but i'll have to see how carbonation effects it. bottling tomorrow and a review in 2-4 weeks from there.

patience truly is a virtue. at least it isn't as long a wait time as the DFH 120 Minute IPA. that one takes me about 10 days to ferment through and then another month of dryhopping (i am probably going to secondary and tertiary to clarify for a week each, then dryhop in quaternary storage)

RDWHAHB

I picked up another 6er of all day. It definitely doesn't have a lot of the Amarillo aromatics as what you get from the draft but man, I love this brew. I want to clone this too for a nice crisp summer beer.

I am picking up a hint of rye spice in the malt bill. Have you brewed with rye before? When yours is ready, do a side by side comparison and see if you detect any more spice character in All Day.

I found that doing side by sides is the best way to pick out new flavors to re-adjust a clone.

I picked up another 6er of all day. It definitely doesn't have a lot of the Amarillo aromatics as what you get from the draft but man, I love this brew. I want to clone this too for a nice crisp summer beer.

I am picking up a hint of rye spice in the malt bill. Have you brewed with rye before? When yours is ready, do a side by side comparison and see if you detect any more spice character in All Day.

I found that doing side by sides is the best way to pick out new flavors to re-adjust a clone.

Lucky! My local store is out of it.

Never realized how lucky I an to live where I live. When that brew came out it topped pyramid displays in the craft beer stores around here. Between founders and bells limited release and seasonal's I guess It's a spoil of riches!

Cracked one open yet? :)

Cmon!

brewed from extract recipe and poured into pint glass.

A - about right on color. a little dark, but i got more extraction from the small amount of specialty grain used for color addition than expected. a little flat yet, so there is not much of any head.

S - yeasty (got too hot during fermentation), but nice. the Amarillo is a little light here. maybe increase Amarillo 8 minute addition by 50%. It is just a little mild to me. A little grainy, but i notice my beers smell this way when they are under carbonated.

T - The Cascade are a little too strong. I am thinking maybe some Simcoe for bittering might be the right one. If its cascade, back off the amount for sure. Whoever said use Rye, I think you may be on to something. Just use it in extreme moderation (maybe 2oz per 5gallon batch?). I think it is easy to go overboard with Rye. The Amarillo 20-30 minute hop addition could be bumped up 50-100% to balance the bitterness lost fro reducing the Cascade too. Depending on your taste in dry hops, this might be just right, or you may want to double it. It could still come out more with carbonation, but I think I would double it myself.

M - under carbonated, but i think it is dry enough. I'll have to see again in a week to make sure.

O - a decent approximation, but not there yet. I think this will be a solid beer anyway.

Back