Blackberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gomb

Reaction score
So i made a nice blackberry wheat last year, turned out really well.

7lbs Wheat malt
1oz Cascade 60min
1oz Hallertau 15min
60oz frozen Blackberries in secondary

The problem is I recently snagged a 50lb bag of Briess Pilsen, so I would prefer to use that for the next batch. the modification I am thinking about is this:

5lbs Briess Pilsen
1lb White Wheat malt

The question is at my LHBS there was white wheat malt, red wheat malt and torrified red wheat malt. Will i be able to steep the white wheat malt and whats the difference between regular and torrified?

Any of those can be crushed and mashed with the pils. Malted wheat has the enzymes to convert itself if needed. Torrefied is similar to flaked, it is unmalted, but the starches have been gelatinized and are ready to be converted by the enzymes in the barley (it does not have enzymes of its own). No major difference between the two malted wheats at only 1 lb, white is generally supposed to be better for brewing because it has a lower protein content.

Good luck.

I forgot to mention the pilsen is extract. Will the wheat malt be able to be steeped or will I need to mini mash?

Wheat malt can be mini-mashed on its own (just get the water to grain ratio and temperature right for 30 min and you'll be fine).

Thanks for the help, looks like the new recipe will be

5lbs Briess Pilsen DME
1lb White Wheat malt
1oz Cascade 60min
1oz Hallertau 15min
60oz frozen Blackberries in secondary

Steep grains at ~155 for 30-45min
Add 2lbs extract and bring to a boil
Follow hop schedule
Add 3lbs extract at 15min

I will probably use S-04 for yeast in this one. Any objections to that? I have notty and US-05 on hand as well.

Back