Monster Mill, and a few other goodies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Its rainy here in So Cal, and i'm off for the holidays, so i thought i would brew today and try out some of the equiptment i got for christmas.

i have been struggling with my efficiencies so i had been compensating by using more grain. Still, I could not get my SG over 1.045-1.050 for say 13 lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch I normally have my grain crushed at my LHBS,so I have been at the mercy of their mill.

I have been brewing about 6 months now, and adding equiptment as I go along.

So last night i milled my grain with my new 3 roller Monster Mill. I was fooling with the adjustmentsm and first pass, it looked like i may have not crushed all the kernals. i ajusted it again, and milled the grain a second time. this time it looked real good.

So this morning I heated my water to start my mash. i was anxious to try my new chugger pump, to pump my water and wort instead of bucketing. I had built a rolling tool box this week with my pump attached from a thread i found on here.

So i mashed in for an hour, then recirculated the wort for 10 minutes using the pump, while my sparge water was heating. then i sparged using the pump and copper sparge manifold i made. this pump and camlock setup sure made things easier.

i noticed right off that the wort looked different, thicker. I pumped the wort to the kettle, brought it to a boil, then pulled a sample, chilled to 65dg and tested SG. wow, 1.062 !! this was with 26 lbs of grain for a 10 gallon batch (preboil 12 gallons) of APA, best i could due with the same grain bill was 1.050.

Not sure if this was due to the Monster Mill, pump, or combination of all, but looks like I can cut down on my grain

Anyhoo, I dropped this onto a Nottingham yeast cake in the fermenter, as i just finished kegging some Bee Cave HPA. This is my first attemp at reusing a yeast cake, we will see how it turns out.

Congrats! It's probably a combination of everything, but it sounds like you are starting to get dialed in.

Yep, and the airlock was bubbling like mad about an hour after I put it onto that yeast cake. Amazing how that works

Nice gifts! I rarely get brewing related gifts unless I buy them for myself. A few years ago I really wanted a bench mounted capper. I made sure the LHBS had it in stock and dropped a few hints. I got a can of extract instead. I bought the capper myself the next week. This Christmas I wanted a refractometer, so I ordered it myself.... Thanks Mrk, just what I wanted!

Nice gifts! I rarely get brewing related gifts unless I buy them for myself. A few years ago I really wanted a bench mounted capper. I made sure the LHBS had it in stock and dropped a few hints. I got a can of extract instead. I bought the capper myself the next week. This Christmas I wanted a refractometer, so I ordered it myself.... Thanks Mrk, just what I wanted!

when you get middle aged, and have just about everything, you look at your wife, and ask her what she wants, then tell her what you want. Then you buy each other their wants. suprises are more for the kids

when you get middle aged, and have just about everything, you look at your wife, and ask her what she wants, then tell her what you want. Then you buy each other their wants. suprises are more for the kids

That's middle age? Damn I just thought it's what you did after 10 years together. I guess that makes me middle aged.

I made sure the LHBS had it in stock and dropped a few hints. I got a can of extract instead. I bought the capper myself the next week.

Amazon wish lists helps ;) I keep it updated all year long.

.....oops! I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread. Congrats on the new efficiency

Back