When Exactly Do You Add the Priming Sugar Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
When in the bottling process do you add the priming sugar?

(1) Before siphoing the wort into the bottling bucket.
(2) After siphoing the wort into the bottling bucket.
(3) In the middle of siphoing the wort into the bottling bucket.

Arguably, if you add it in before, then the first few bottles of beer will have more priming sugar than the last few, increasing the changes of a bottling explosion.

Any thoughts / comments???

All of the above. ;)

I split it in half, and put half in the bottom of the bucket then rack the beer on top, (i let my hose follow the curve of the bucket so the beer flows in a circular motion as it rises that will help mix the solution) then when I get about half way up I add the rest of the solution.

Even just dumping it in the bottom, the beer and solution will mix just fine.

I have some great bottling tips here, that may make you session easier. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Hi!

That's actually a rather common question on here. The general consensus (at least I've found) is that you get a cup of water boiling, mix in the sugar until completely dissolved, then dump it in your bottling bucket before racking your beer. This is create a whirl-pool motion and mix up all the sugar for you. You do not run the risk of getting more in the first couple than the last, as you mentioned... as the beer fills your bottling bucket, the higher concentration of sugars in the liquid you racked early on will naturally disperse to the areas of lower concentration, thus giving you a homologous solution.

Back