Air Compressor Recomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDWHAHB

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying an air compressor. It will be in the garage. Mostly use it for: tires, blow out sprinklers, cleaning, etc. Will want to get some other air tools in the future, but nothing too much of an air hog. Sprinklers will likely be the biggest demand (SCFM wise). I am thinking an upright 10-20 gallon, 5ish SCFM @ 90PSI. Any recommendations?

I like these:
Porter Cable http://tinyurl.com/2fhjtkk [deltaportercable.com] $440 @ Amazon
Dewalt http://tinyurl.com/2b6y3y2 [homedepot.com] $390

Any advice? How are dewalt? Never had their stuff. Aren't they owned by B&D now? Do they make shoddy stuff as such?

They are the upper range of my price limit. Ideally, I'd find something cheaper. Maybe I am buying more than I need too.

Home depot had a Husky brand compressor that isn't online. 26 gal tank, 4-5 SCFM (I can't remember) and 2 air tools, & a hose for $230. Seemed too cheap for me. Husky compressors seem to have a decent rep, but it looks like they are made by Campbell Hausfeld which seem to have a horrible rep a lot of places online.

So, any thoughts? I would like to get closer to $300, but will drop the coin so that I don't get a POS.

My personal preference is to buy quality. If I can't afford it, I would much rather wait than buy something cheap, and keep buying it over and over.

That one fits the bill pretty good. My dad has a craftsman horizontal that he likes. Right at $300 too. Some folks complain that sears non-hand tools have gone downhill, but I'm not sure there is much to that.

I love my Craftsman 30 gallon 160 psi upright. I figure if it is only going to live in the garage get something bigger than 10 or 20 gallons. But like Hammy71 said, if you want to die grind it ain't happening without a heavy duty compressor...but HF's electric die grinders are dirt cheap and seem industructible.

As a quick side note, they will get water in them and can rust out which is why they have a relief/drain valve on the bottom. I leave that valve open at a trickle at all times so no water ever sits inside.

I have no knowledge of Porter Cable other than their good reputation. However, my DeWalt tools are worth every penny so I could only imagine their air compressors are just as good.

Oh yeah, and keeping it beer related, I use mine to blow out the water from my IC instead of having an anorism using my lungs.

About 2 years old, got it for around $300 and it came with a tool package such as an impact wrench and a few other tools.

these things get cheaper around the holidays. So if you are in no hurry. you may just score big. and with a bad economy,pawn shops may be worth looking over.

I recommend the Gentron 4.6G Twin Tank Oil-less Compressor.

I've owned this compressor for about a year now and I love it. It's super quiet (~55 dB), lightweight, and flows enough air to operate small air tools (ratchets, impact wrenches, etc.).

• 4.6 Gallon aluminum twin tank
  • 3.5 peak HP, 2.5 rated
  • Oil-less for less maintenance
  • Thermal overload protection for safety
  • 5.2 CFM at 40 PSI
  • 4.2 CFM at 90 PSI
  • 115 PSI Maximum pressure
  • Two metal gauges and two universal quick connectors
  • Dual Pump

GC44062.jpg

i second the Jenny suggestion i have a 20 gal 3 horse Quincy it is the best small compressor i have ever used. it is very quiet and makes a ton of air. i am not a believer in oil-less compressors i have burned up several myself including the Dewalt .stick with a belt driven cast iron pump mine is a two piston single stage pump that is what makes it so quiet . also stick with pro quality tools and buy from a company that specializes in that tool. there is nothing worse than having to buy a tool twice because of poor quality, spend the few extra bucks and get a good one.

20 gallons is a BIG compressor for a 'small compressor'...

I've wirked in two shops with 80 gal huskies, no probs.
at home i have a 5gal p/c pancake, no probs except for pneum. D/A on it. no down time.

I'd spend a few extra $$$ to get a real compressor. Harbor Freight is crap, I have some non powered stuff from them but I'd never buy anything powered that I intended to use more than a couple times. Read the reviews of the new Craftsman stuff, its not great either, it would probably be fine if you use air a dozen time a year.

Look at Northern Tool they have Ingersoll Rand compressors with free shipping. Here's one that would fit the bill. They also have a larger one for $100 more.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221

I have the Husky belt drive cast iron non-oil-free compressor.

I love it. It's quiet, works great, and has never had a problem.

Granted I'm no contractor, but I do use it more than the average guy, I think. I'm all about buying the right tool for the job, but at the right quality for the job too! I bought a "Tool Shop"10" compound miter saw when I framed out my basement, for $100. Had I asked here (Or anywhere else for that matter) what to buy, I'm pretty sure nobody would have suggested I get the "Tool Shop" saw! And for good reason - It is a piece of crap. But guess what - I used it for 2 days of decapitating 2x4's, and have maybe used it 4 times since. Why on earth should I have spent $500 on a "Good" one?

OP,
If you're going to use the holy crap out of your compressor - Like a body shop or a contractor would - Get a great one.

If you're like me, and use a compressor 5 times a year (Gutters, sprinklers, bike tires, etc.) - Spend what you want because a compressor is a compressor. That said, big names are easier to get parts for...

You only have to ask yourself a few questions:
How loud?
How big?
How much do I want to pay for a name/warranty?

Keep in mind that I am a mechanic and I do a lot of sidework in my garage, I also do a lot of porting and polishing of heads, intakes, and turbos. I had a craftsman that lasted almost a year, This was 15 years ago and I havent looked into the recent quality, but for me it was a huge waste of my money, I currently have this 220 volt model from Mac tools and it has performed flawlessly for the past 15 years, often it runs for 6+ hours non stop.
I also use it for operating pnumatic halloween props, clearing the driveway of leaves, for sandblasting, blowing out the garage, I have nail guns and pin nailers, so projects around the house are also a breeze.

I have a Home Depot brand one (25 gal) and it works pretty good. If I was to get another one, I'd probably look at Craftsman first.

Check out SearsOutlet.com. There are some incredible deals there at times. I bought two kegerators for $199 each on closeout that were originally $700.

Wow, a lot of good advice so far!

The CL ad dogtailale put up looks sweet. Unfortunatley I don't have the space for that big of a unit, and would have to run 230. Both aren't huge problems, but I have a small garage and will sell the house in a couple years, so I hate to run power.

YOu guys have me thinking about the belt drive oiled compressors. I don't need it to be quite, but it would be nice. I am now leaning toward the Northen Tool IR. Do they always have free shipping, or is that a promotion? If you're spending $$00, what is an extra $100...

SweetSounds-Very wise words on the the right quality for the job talk. I bought a Denali compound miter saw for $50. It does great for 2x4 framing. My practical side says it was worth every penny. My lustful side curses that thing everytime I fire it up (very loud), or try to make precice cuts (It never seem to keep the alignment). I seem happiest when I save up for a tool that is "over doing it" and be done with it. As it is a hobby; in the end it is all about my enjoyment...not what I need.

how much use is it going to see? For occasional use a few times per year, the compactness of an oilless direct-drive unit will probably offset the noise and shorter lifespan of these units. You don't need a 50, 000 hr MTBF unit if you're only going to be running it for 20 hours per year.

As to power, any air compressor will run any air tool, at least until the pressure in the tank drops. For a low-powered unit with a small tank, that means that you might be able to use your air hammer for 20 seconds, and then wait for a minute, as opposed to nearly continuous use with a massive motor and/or tank.

Basically, you're not a professional garage with 5 mechanics all using air tools simultaneously for 8 hours a day, so you don't need a 30 horse ultra-reliable, quiet air compressor.

Went with the IR from northerntool. Probably a bit overkill, but I am excited.
Regards, Jeff

I bought 2 60 gallon compressors from HF and love them. I liked the first one so much that I left it at my FIL's house for him, in appreciation for letting me use his barn for my car project. When the Mustang came home to me, I bought another same model.

Now I'd NEVER recommend that machine for a shop, but even for my use (Grinding, Cutting, Sanding, Painting) it works fine. Belt drive single stage I think. I run several CHEAP HF tools and other than rusting inside (from me not having a filter on the line), they have run "fine" for my needs. Thanks for reminding me to drain my tank!

The IR is a great brand and I have no doubt will last you MANY years.

Back