Server question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kass_Brauhaus

Reaction score
Ok, so not even the right group to be asking the question, but I'm sure someone here knows.

I have an old P2 that I'm putting Linux on and want to make a server. Comcast hasn't changed my IP address in years (even though I'm "dynamic") so I want to host my own little webpage. I'm sure 6 people will view it so I'm not worried too much about performance/getting my IP switched on me.

Is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to set all this up? What version of Linux I should put on there, etc.? Despite writing software for a living (I don't know when and how that happened), I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks.

You want to put Linux on it, but don't know which flavor? I'm assuming you're doing this just to tinker? FWIW, you can also use dynamic DNS to host a webpage, even if your IP did change it would still follow.

I use SLES at work, RHEL occasionally, and Ubuntu if I can get away with it. There are a ton more distros that I don't/never use, but each one has a strength or purpose.

Out of all of those, for personal stuff, I prefer Ubuntu since it is pretty easy, very functional, well supported, and quick for most things. Have some fun!

I personally like Ubuntu server edition, especially the latest version. You can opt to install the desktop environment if you like, or stick with the command line (I would, espcially with a simple web server). Also, there is a Dynamic IP program in there as well that will keep track of your IP address if it changes, and tie it to your domain name. Can't remember right now which one it is, but give me a minute and I'll post it.

Here's a great guide: http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/how-to-setup-a-dedicated-web-server-for-free/
You probably just need to worry about the LAMP install, not the other stuff. That will get you setup with Apache, MySQL, and PHP.

And here's a tutorial on getting DynDNS to handle your dynamic IP: http://mexpolk.wordpress.com/2008/01/29/ubuntu-gutsy-dyndns-client-setup/

I am lucky enough to have the ability to lease static IP's from my ISP (Qwest). When I had comcast I used dyndns.org to host my DNS. It is free (at least it was when I used it) and it will update against dynamic IP's

I personally like Ubuntu server edition, especially the latest version. You can opt to install the desktop environment if you like, or stick with the command line (I would, espcially with a simple web server). Also, there is a Dynamic IP program in there as well that will keep track of your IP address if it changes, and tie it to your domain name. Can't remember right now which one it is, but give me a minute and I'll post it.

Here's a great guide: How to Setup a Dedicated Web Server for Free - Nettuts+
You probably just need to worry about the LAMP install, not the other stuff. That will get you setup with Apache, MySQL, and PHP.

And here's a tutorial on getting DynDNS to handle your dynamic IP: Ubuntu (Gutsy): DynDNS Client Setup « Ivan Torres

I responded before reading...lol. +1 on dyndns. It worked really well for me back in my dynamic IP days. I really need to get back onto learning Linux

First off I'd really recommend a cheap web host like 1and1 over a home setup, but it's up to you. The cost of registering a domain name for your home server will run almost as much as a cheap account there. (which includes 1 domain name)

Now if you want to continue and not go the easy route.

Assuming you know as little as you profess I'd go with Ubuntu server just for the large community and established repositories of knowledge. (Other flavors have large knowledge bases too, but Ubuntu is based around being helpful for the most part)

Be prepared to have LAMP spewed out a lot. Linux Apache MySQL PHP

For a simple web site ALL you need is Apache, you can run it on Linux OR Windows. This is the program that listens for web requests and serves up the web pages you made.

You need to forward requests on port 80 on your router to the internal IP of the server.

You will want to probably register a domain name (costs $) otherwise you need to make people type in your IP to get to your website. (dyndns.com for dynamic domains)

In short, Install Linux, Install Apache (generally bundled in a LAMP package as a optional install during Linux's install), forward port 80 on your router to the server's internal IP, either give out the ip to visitors or register a domain name to give out.

This is just the very basic steps you will have to take, configuring Apache can be a real b*tch for a first timer but just remember someone has done it before you so google is your friend.

Awesome, thanks guys. Yeah, I'm tinkering. I'm a big time linux user, but my knowledge is really spotty--I know a lot about some things, and nothing about others. The curse of being self-taught I suppose.

Even without registering a domain name, you can simplify how the web points to you--it's fairly easy to get whatever.ath.cx for free, though I can't remember the site.

Also, I found out that for an extra 10 clams, comcast will give me a static IP.

Ubuntu and LAMPP, as if they haven't already been mentioned enough.
They are both easy to set up and you will be off and running in no time..... assuming you don't have an ATI video card that has just been moved to "legacy" status. :D

Back