Where does Amber Ale belong on the style chart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgohean

Reaction score
Where would you place an amber ale on this style chart, specifically one very similar to Fat Tire?

f111.jpg

Does anyone know where to find a more complete style chart?

Fat Tire is supposed to be Beligan-style, right? I can't get it where I am, but it would be up on the sweet part, less bitter than many American-style Ambers .

Personally, for a generic American Amber, if you draw a line from American Pale to American Brown, I'd put it about 2/3 of the way up the line.

That's insane! Two-thirds?!?! Outrageous. I'd put it about 5/8 up said line. ;)

Ambers are hard to pigeonhole though. There are really a wide variety of brews marketed as Ambers. The BJCP styleguide show American Ambers at 1.045-1.060 and IBU's at 25-40, but I think commercial examples are all over the map.

Fat Tire is supposed to be Beligan-style, right? I can't get it where I am, but it would be up on the sweet part, less bitter than many American-style Ambers .

Actually, people think it's Belgian style because it's made by New Belgium, I guess, but it's not at all. New Belgium Brewing

Fat Tire is an American Amber.

Quick correction on the Amber Ale Wiki. You mention S-06 as a good yeast choice. I think you meant S-05.

Good writeup! :mug:

Back