I was told to force carb this way by my homebrew shop... will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerdlogic

Reaction score
I hooked up 25 psi to keg with it upside down and let the co2 bubble up through it, then i disconnected the keg and rocked it back and forth (agitated it) for a half hour. Then I leave it in the fridge for a few days and then let the pressure out through the valve. Then I bring the pressure up to 10-12 psi for serving.

Is there a problem with this? will it over carbonate? will i get carbonic acid? will it be carbonated?

here is a better way....
1: put the keg in the fridge at 30PSI for 2 days.
2: disconnect and bleed pressure, reduce reg to 10-12psi
3: reconnect and wait 1 week

I don't like shaking the keg, as i overcarbed both times i did.
I don't like turning my keg upside down, for fear of beer in my gas line.

Well thats kinda (IMO) a goofy to end up carbed in "a couple of days"

I just carbed 2 different beers for a block party tomorrow.
I started on monday by chilling them down to serving temp
On tuesday I put the gas on at 40psi for 12 hours (overnight) I purged then readjusted the reg to 20psi for the next 36 hours. Purged and put at serving pressure (for my system 10-12 psi depending on the style). The samples i had last night were about 95% to perfectly carbonated.
Granted this beer was "ready" before I even gassed it (ready meaning not green or hurried through fermentation or aging)

I imagine this is the OP's first kegged batch. Everyone is really excited to get it on tap for the first few batches.

I imagine this is the OP's first kegged batch. Everyone is really excited to get it on tap for the first few batches.

true, but the reward for patience is always paid off, when it comes to homebrew.
I try to give my beer 2-3 weeks to forcecarb with set/forget and at most hit it with 30PSi for 2 days, then wait a week after that

Is there a problem with this? Yes
will it over carbonate? No
will i get carbonic acid? Yes
will it be carbonated? No

The head space in a keg is rather small, so this method won't work. You need much more CO2 than a single shot at 25 psi.

If you agitated for 30 minutes with the CO2 connected, it will be carbonated.

Ok i turned the pressure on the tank up to 30psi and left it hooked up to the keg in the fridge....

I'll leave this like this for 2 days, then im gonna disconnect and bleed off the pressure and reconnect at 12psi and leave for 1 week.

good?

I hope everyone they told this to had in-line valves so they don't have to rebuild their regs.

Edit: You may also consider just doing set it and forget it... it's an experience tasting the beer as it carbs. I'm doing it with a pretty bastardized Arrogant Bastard clone (that I'm calling Bastardized Bastard), in the last few days the taste has completely changed. I don't know how to describe it, but it's a good experience.

God I'm a light weight though, one pint and I can already feel it.

Ok i turned the pressure on the tank up to 30psi and left it hooked up to the keg in the fridge....

I'll leave this like this for 2 days, then im gonna disconnect and bleed off the pressure and reconnect at 12psi and leave for 1 week.

good?

Yep. don't be afraid to try it on the 3rd day (after it is reset to 12psi), it may be a little undercarbed, but that taste will hold you over till it is fully carbed.

when you pull your first pint, it may be filled with all the sediment at the bottom of the keg, most people toss it, some drink it.

the other advantage to taking more time to carb your beer is everything settles out, and you will have clearer beer.

Is there a problem with this? Yes, overkill.

will it over carbonate? Yes.

will i get carbonic acid? Definitely.

will it be carbonated? Yes.

what creates carbonic acid? and do you all agree with the corrections i made?

its sitting in my fridge now @ 30psi hooked up to the co2 tank.

in 2 days im gonna disconnect it, depressurize it, and connect it at 12psi for a week. testing it in the middle.

and i have carbonated before, but i only carbonated a bubbly girl beverage using the 30psi + shaking method + leaving it alone for a week. it was so bubbly.

Back