Melanoidin vs Victory Malt in a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys-

Got a recipe that calls for Victory MAlt.. Of ourse my LHBS doesn't carry it.. So I picked up some mealoidin.. Now I have never used eiother of these malts before and have no idea (besides what Beersmith tells me) what they bring to a batch of beer. Here is the recipe:

Mendocino Red Tail Ale Clone

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
IBU: 26
SRM: 13
ABV: 5.0%

Grains
9.75 lb Pale Malt
3.5 oz Victory Malt
1.0 lb Crystal 60 Malt

Hops
0.5 oz Cluster (60 min) (4 AAU)
0.8 oz Cascade (30 min) (4 AAU)
0.33 oz Cascade (0 min)

Yeast
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash in 14 qts water at 153F, 90 min

90 min boil

Ferment at 68 F

Would the melanoidin be an acceptable replacement for the Victory? The Melanoidin is 30L and the Victory is around 25L.. What do you think?

I don't think they are similar. Biscuit would have been a better substitute. Victory gives a nutty flavor and I use it quite often. You might see it in Nut Brown recipes. Melanoidan malt gives a more malty flavor like Munich malt only said to be stronger.

You can roast your own malt to make Biscuit. Here in one link.

I don't think they are similar. Biscuit would have been a better substitute. Victory gives a nutty flavor and I use it quite often. You might see it in Nut Brown recipes. Melanoidan malt gives a more malty flavor like Munich malt only said to be stronger.

You can roast your own malt to make Biscuit. Here in one link.

Hey Blender-

Well lucky for me, I happen to have some biscuit malt thatI picked up to make my American 2-Row a little more malty like British 2 Row.... How fortuitous! Thanks for the link on home grain roasting as well.. Just for the record, will there be a "noticeable" difference between the Victory and Biscuit? Or is that something only an expert palate would detect?

Hey Blender-

Well lucky for me, I happen to have some biscuit malt thatI picked up to make my American 2-Row a little more malty like British 2 Row.... How fortuitous! Thanks for the link on home grain roasting as well.. Just for the record, will there be a "noticeable" difference between the Victory and Biscuit? Or is that something only an expert palate would detect?
My palate wouldn't pick it up. You don't have all that much in the grist as it is anyway.
I also think Victory may be a manufactures name but the grains are roasted pretty much the same although they may use a different base malt.

Back