Ammonium phosphate and urea in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyDeluxe

Reaction score
I recently (not knowing any better) purchased some ammonium phosphate and urea mix and used in by last two brews. They were an american amber and a scotch ale. The amber tuned out ok(it needs about a week more conditioning i think) but after further educating myself i found that this stuff is more for meads and wines. Can someone give me the straight scoop on this stuff and is it helping or wasteful?

I recently (not knowing any better) purchased some ammonium phosphate and urea mix and used in by last two brews. They were an american amber and a scotch ale. The amber tuned out ok(it needs about a week more conditioning i think) but after further educating myself i found that this stuff is more for meads and wines. Can someone give me the straight scoop on this stuff and is it helping or wasteful?

I think you will have crystal clear beer. I wouldn't worry about it.

These salts serve as nitrogen sources for the yeast. Nitrogen is an essential yeast nutrient and may be deficient in juices (wine) or beers with lots of adjuncts (non malt extract sources like rice or sugar). All malt beers don't need them, but I don't think it will hurt. But I don't think it will help either.

Kai

Latest posts

Back