Denny's fav 50 "house strain"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
So ive done two brews with this strain now and im very impressed. I prefer a strong malt backbone even in my pale ales. This yeast is excellent, and at 65 degrees is exactly what im looking for.

Is there anyone who is using this for several different brews? American ale, ambers, pales... just curious what others are doing and your experiences.

Plan on using it with the Deception Cream Stout recipe which is what it calls for. I like more malt forward brews so im sure i'm going to use it more often in the futue as well.

Denny is a member here, maybe he'll poke his head in and share what his favorite recipes with it are.

I just threw it into a Racer 5-ish IPA clone on Sunday. A wee bit slow to start, but it's doing a great job right now, without being out of control with krausen. My first time using the yeast, but I want a more malty flavor out of some beers, and might continue to culture this for future brews if this turns out.

Denny's Favorite has also become MY favorite! I fermented 4 of my last 5 brews with this very versatile strain......Denny's Rye IPA, Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, and my Black IPA. It was amazing in all of them!

Glad to hear its not just me. While i love my hoppy beers, i like all of my brews to have that strong malt backbone, will likely be using this pretty much exclusively with the exception of belgians and those requiring special strains. I have a Belgian up next using the forbidden fruit strain and after that I'll definitely be doing something with the Dennys favorite.

I use Dennys in a batch of Loon Lake Smoked porter. Washed it. Then I built a 4 liter started out of two of the 4 washed jars and pitched it into and Imperial Cherry Chocolate stout. Its been goin like a freight train for 9 days now. Shud be about 9% ABV when done. It did a great job in the smoke porter

Denny's Favorite 50 "House Strain" is the old Brewtek CL-50 California Brewpub strain that used by available on slant back in the nineties. It came from the Mendocino Brewing company. I had CL-50 strain in my bank for years. It's a good strain, but I preferred the taste of Brewtek CL-170 Classic British Ale, which was plated from a sample taken at Young's Brewery in London. The currently available Young's strains do not perform like CL-170. Young beer fermented with CL-170 had a lollipop-like fruitiness to it. CL-170 is the perfect "real ale" yeast.

I've used it for many beer styles, and it's still a house favorite of mine. One of the things I love about it is when I use it in my oatmeal stout recipe, it gives a really "luscious" mouthfeel. It's rich, and full, but not sweet or underattenuated. It's great in that beer.

I've also used it in many other styles, from IPAs to American brown ales, and really like it there, too.

Obviously, I use it for my Rye IPA recipe. But I also use it for most American styles. It's goes in BVIP, pale ales, porters, and my Noti Brown ale, an American brown. I've heard of people using it for blonde ales and even alt.

I used it in Yooper's hoppy American Amber, which was awesome. Then I used it again in a split batch of oatmeal stout - half of it got bottle-harvested Bell's yeast and the other got the 1450. The 1450 half had a much maltier, bready and roastier flavor than the Bell's half, which was quite sweet.

I've used this in my pumpkin ale with great results. I am about to brew that again on the 4th generation repitch (probably the last one) that was first used on an English Mild, then on a cream ale, and lastly on a watermelon wheat. The cream ale is fantastic with this yeast - I did it as an experiment mostly, but I really like it better than us-05 or the cream ale blends that I've used in the past. Kegging the watermelon today or tomorrow so I'm not sure about that one, but the samples have been amazing. This is becoming one of my favorite strains, so versatile.

I've used it for many beer styles, and it's still a house favorite of mine. One of the things I love about it is when I use it in my oatmeal stout recipe, it gives a really "luscious" mouthfeel. It's rich, and full, but not sweet or underattenuated. It's great in that beer.

I've also used it in many other styles, from IPAs to American brown ales, and really like it there, too.

The mouthfeel this yeast lends is the very reason I chose it when I brewed your Oatmeal Stout, Yooper!

Back