Monster Mill MM-2 Issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccullpl

Reaction score
I just got a MM-2 from Midwest, along with the base and hopper. When I opened the box, I notices little metal chips on everything. Opened up the mill, and noticed the rollers had slipped out of the end block, and were probably banging against each other during shipping. I spent about 45 minutes trying to get all the little metal chips off the roller, and finally gave up and called Midwest. They said they'd happily replace it when they got more in stock. Before I send it back, I wanted to see if this was typical, and if I should just clean it a bit more and keep it. The rollers themselves don't look to be damaged from contacting each other, but it does look like there is a small divot where the points on the knurling should be. It's very uniform, so I doubt this was a result of the rollers hitting each other. I've seen others post pics of this, and I remember the consensus being that they should have a point, and to send it back. Am I being too anal about this?

Thanks in advance!
Pat

Mine had some metal chips from when it was machined. I just cleaned them off with some compressed air. If its not damaged I wouldnt send it back . Those things usually get jostled around alot in shipping but they are packed really well (at least mine was but I ordered it directly from MM)

The metal chips are just a product of manufacturing. The knurls are not "machined" into the metal with a cutter. Rather, they are formed by rollers and heavy pressure. During the process, metal is transferred from the product to the knurling tools.. and back. I'd just get a stainless, brass or steel wire brush and brush the heck out of the rollers, wash in soapy water, rinse well and dry well to avoid rust. Can't speak to the rest of the issues you had.. but, I'd seriously doubt that anything negative happened.

Good to know that's typical. I guess my bigger concern now is the knurling. I talked with a coworker who used to be a machinist, and he explained the little divots on the knurls. Apparently either they didn't knurl deep enough to make a point, possibly because the diameter of the stock was smaller than normal. Unless someone can convince me this doesn't matter, I'll probably return it, and wait for a replacement to come in.

Thanks!

Yes, either because the stock material was a tad too small in diameter.. or the knurling tool was not set properly. Still not likely a problem.. but, I'd call MM.

ThreeGnomes,

I sent an email to MM to see what they have to say. I'm guessing it will work great for as long as I'm brewing, but I guess when I buy something, I just want it to be perfect, lol!

Talked to Monster, and he said the 'pits' happen occasionally, and he said is wouldn't affect the performance or longevity of the mill. He added that if I were to have any wear issues with it in the future, they would gladly replace the rollers. Based on that, I decided just to keep it.

The MM2 rocks! You're gonna really like milling grain with that mill. Once it's adjusted where you want it it's a rock solid performer. Have fun!

Gonna buy one soon. I am a little tempted by the Rebel Brewer mill...feedback?

Can't wait to buy grain 50 lbs. at a time, saving so much $$$.

Gonna buy one soon. I am a little tempted by the Rebel Brewer mill...feedback?

Can't wait to buy grain 50 lbs. at a time, saving so much $$$.

I'm tempted as well by the Rebel Brewer mill but it's been out of stock now for months and last I've heard it's not coming back in anytime soon.

Back