2013 Hop Rhizome Presale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go with what you like to use, but you can’t go wrong starting with some Cascades.

Shoot! Any chance you under estimated the amount of Magnum rhizomes available? I was late to the game and they are sold out!

...perhaps I will go with Columbus

looking to start my hop garden this year.. i wanted to get 3 varieties.. should i order 2 of each and plant just the pairs close together? would that help in the short and long term for production/growth? thanks!

Shoot! Any chance you under estimated the amount of Magnum rhizomes available? I was late to the game and they are sold out!

...perhaps I will go with Columbus

After all the orders we currently have are filled we’ll have to see what we have remaining if any. I’ll post on HBT our website and Facebook any updates.

looking to start my hop garden this year.. i wanted to get 3 varieties.. should i order 2 of each and plant just the pairs close together? would that help in the short and long term for production/growth? thanks!

The practice of planting two rhizomes per location is typically done at commercial farms. You could plant two per spot and have a much larger plant mass and more bines but it’s not necessary.

How's everything looking? I just put in an order for garden supplies and seeds last night and it reminded me of the hops rhizomes we all have ordered. Gotta admit that I'm pumped to get them in the ground and try my hand at hops growing!

Hello, are these still going out this month to presale customers? Looking to get a head start, thanks!

I can't wait to get mine, were all set up. All we need now is the hop starts and rhizomes we pre-ordered...

Got my package today!!! No tracking number, it just showed up in my mail. Very nice looking rhizome lot of buds already formed

Oh snap, I totally forgot about this. I gotta do some digging. Better find the shovel...

Got mine today. It's freezing and raining so much here in Wisconsin. I put mine in pots with soil and milorganite until the ground thaws.

Got my 3 centennials yesterday and got them in the ground right away. Temps here have been crazy, we had snow 2 weeks ago, and hit 90* yesterday. The mailbox got a little toasty due to the excessive heat/sun, hopefully that doesn't ahve any negative impact on the rhizomes...they appeared healthy and had little shoots coming out so I am assuming they are good to go. Can't wait to see green poking through the dirt!

Got my rhizomes yesterday they look pretty damn nice compared to some of the root cuttings my wife and I get from different plant & seed mail order companies--Plan on planting half these north of here at the cabin. Thanks for a great deal !

Got my rhizomes in the mail yesterday as well and all I can say is DAMN! Those are some great looking rhizomes. Plenty big with shoots coming off the nodes. Can't wait to get them in the ground and let them start doing their thing!

Just received my MINI RHIZOME FARM!!!! The Willamette is the fatest rhizome ever! Thanks Arrowhead, they look great.

No clue if they're looking great or not since I have no reference for it, but I did receive them and planted the Mt. Hood. Now I just have to find a spot for the other 5... thinking about big pots for now, since I don't have much ground on the southern exposed side of the house.

Decided to go with 5 big pots for all but the Mt. Hood since I am not really sure where to put them in the yard where they'd A) get enough sun and B) be able to grow vertically at least 10 feet. Centennial and Cascade have sprouted already. No sign on the others. I think I may dig up the Mt. Hood and put it in a pot also since I'm not really sure of the soil and how much sun it is getting. Pretty happy so far considering I assumed completed failure based upon my brown thumb. I think I may end up just stringing twine from a 2nd story window or 2 and running the bines up thataway.

I planted my hops rhizomes 2 weeks ago today and I was super surprised and excited to see that they're already starting to come up! Of the 4 varieties I planted, my cascades are the only ones to show themselves, but I have high hopes for the rest of my plants!

5 out of 6 of my rhizomes are going pretty well. I was worried about the williamette at first, but that now seems to be one of the strongest ones with three little guys now peeking out of the soil. They are all at a stage where they look a whole lot like another plant in their family. Not much length on them yet. I didn't add any fertilizer initially, just generic potting soil (which I believe has some nutrients in it.. just not sure how much), so maybe I will get some miracle grow or something. The 6th one is the one I put in the ground, Mt. Hood. Nothing from that one, but I have a feeling it just doesn't have enough nutrients or sun or something. I'm still thinking about digging it up, and will probably go ahead with that once I get down to home depot to score another 4-5 gallon pot.

Thanks Arrowhead, everything is looking good so far! I was expecting 0/6 with my brown thumb, so it's either the robustness of hops in general or the quality of the rhizomes. Either way, I am very pleased and already happy enough that if they all kicked the bucket I wouldn't be too sad about it.

5 out of 6 of my rhizomes are going pretty well.... The 6th one is the one I put in the ground, Mt. Hood. Nothing from that one, but I have a feeling it just doesn't have enough nutrients or sun or something. I'm still thinking about digging it up, and will probably go ahead with that once I get down to home depot to score another 4-5 gallon pot.

Wow, what a difference less than a day makes. The Mt. Hood is now one of the stronger looking bines. Amazing, considering last time I looked, there wasn't anything. 6/6. Thanks again Arrowhead.

Here is my centennial!

33bmnuo.jpg

Cascade :)
5unw9u.jpg

Looking like shipping will begin by the end of the month if all holds the course

Back